The Manfred & Hanna Heiting Fellowship for photo-historical research
The Manfred & Hanna Heiting Fonds / Rijksmuseum Fonds enables the Rijksmuseum to annually award two postgraduate Fellowships that stimulate outstanding object-based, photo-historical research by prospective curators from the Netherlands or abroad. Fellowships are awarded for a six-month period. The focus of research should be related to the National Photo Collection held by the Rijksmuseum’s Print Room. The Rijksmuseum will endeavor to enable publication of the Fellow’s research. This could be an in-depth study of one photograph or photo book and/or its distribution; on a series of photographs or part of an oeuvre; on the aesthetic or technical aspects of photography; on the wider context of a photo book or album; or on combinations of art-historical research and research on materials and techniques. The Rijksmuseum will provide working space for the Fellows, in order to stimulate an exchange of knowledge, ideas and experience. Access will be provided to all necessary information in the museum, as well as to the library and the resources of the Netherlands Institute for Art History (RKD) in The Hague.
- The Manfred & Hanna Heiting Fellowship is open to recent graduates (at the Master’s level), as well as doctoral and post-doctoral candidates.
- Fellowships are open to candidates of all nationalities and with varied specialisms.
- Candidates should have proven research capabilities, academic credentials and excellent written
and spoken knowledge of two languages (English and preferably Dutch or German).
Fellowship stipends are awarded to help support a Fellow’s study and research efforts during the tenure of their appointment. Funding is available for two Fellowships per year. The stipend of €14,412 (less applicable taxes and deductions) is for a period of six months commencing 1 September 2016, the start of the academic year.
Application and procedure
Complete applications have to be submitted through the online application system. Please follow the link below to learn about the required documents for application.
The closing date for all applications is 13 March 2016, at 6:00 p.m. (Amsterdam time/CET). No applications will be accepted after this deadline. All applications must be submitted online and in English. Applications or related materials delivered via email, postal mail, or in person will not be accepted.
Selection will be made by an international committee in April 2016. The committee consists of eminent scholars in the relevant fields of study from European universities and institutions, and members of the curatorial staff of the Rijksmuseum. Applicants will be notified by 1 May 2016. All Fellowships will start in September 2016.
- For questions concerning the application procedure, contact Marije Spek, Coordinator of the Fellowship Programme (email@example.com), +31 (0)20-6747395.
- For questions concerning the Manfred & Hanna Heiting Fellowship, contact Saskia Asser, Curator of Photography (firstname.lastname@example.org), +31 (0)20 674 7094
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: