The E J Brady Short Story Competition
The E J Brady Short Story Competition 2015-16 was launched on September 1st 2015 with entries closing on February 28th 2016.
The Mallacoota Arts Council is pleased to provide an prize of $2000 for the winning story in the major short story category, the "Mallacoota Prize" for stories up to 2500 words with the runner up receiving $300.
The judges are also able to make an encouragement award of $100 to an entrant who has not previously been paid for a published story.
The "Gabo Prize" for stories of less than 700 words, has a first prize of $500.
The cost of entry into the competition remains the same as last year being $12.00 to enter a story in the "Mallacoota Prize and $8.00 to enter a story in the "Gabo Prize".
To enter the E J Brady short story competition follow the link to our online entry form. link
To view and download the postal entry form use this link. link
Conditions and Terms
1.Maximum length for EJ Brady “Mallacoota Prize” short story entries is 2500 words. ”Gabo Prize” very short stories must not exceed 700 words. The judges reserve the right to reject works exceeding the word limit.
2. All entries must be works of fiction. There is no set theme and stories may be written in any genre in adult or young adult literature.
3. There is no geographical restriction on entry. The EJ Brady Short Story Competition is an international competition open to everyone.
4. All entries should be in English.
5. The entrant's name and address must appear on the entry form but not on any of the pages of the manuscript(s).
6. Entries can be made online or by post. To enter online, please complete and submit the online entry form at www.artsmallacoota.org. to enter by post, complete the entry by post form available for downloading from www.artsmallacoota.org and return it to: EJ Brady Short Story Competition PO Box 201 Mallacoota Victoria 3892.
7. Postal entries must be submitted typed and double-spaced on A4 white paper in a . 12 font.
8. Entry fees are $12 AUD for each EJ Brady “Mallacoota Prize” short story, $8 AUD for each “Gabo Prize” short story. Full payment MUST be submitted with your entry form by direct deposit to the MAC account. Postal entries may be paid by cheque or postal money order payable to Mallacoota Arts Council and are subject to a $2 AUD processing fee.
9. The closing date for entries is Sunday 28th February 2016.
10. All entries must be original and previously unpublished works.
11. Any works submitted must not have won prizes, contracts or cash in any other competition.
12. The winner of the “Mallacoota Prize” short story category will receive $2000 AUD with the runner-up receiving $300 AUD. The judges may award an $100 AUD encouragement award to a worthy story from a previously unpublished entrant.
13. The winner of the “Gabo Prize” very short story category will receive $500 AUD.
14. The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
15. Copyright will remain with the author but the Mallacoota Arts Council reserves the right to reproduce the prize-winning stories, and runners-up, at any point in the future, in hard copy, performance readings, adaptations and electronic media, with author acknowledgment.
16. Manuscripts will not be returned.
If you wish to enter more than two stories in the competition, please complete an additional entry form or submit your entry on line at http://www.artsmallacoota.org/
Entry fee is AUD$12 for each “Mallacoota Prize” short story and AUD$8 for each “Gabo Prize” short story entered. Please note postal entries incur an AUD$2 processing charge. Please add this to your entry fee. We encourage you to enter online at http://www.artsmallacoota.org/ to avoid this charge.
Cheque/Money order made payable to Mallacoota Arts Council or direct deposit to Mallacoota Arts Council Westpac Account BSB 033227 Account No 100744. Please include your surname in the description section of the transaction. Payment should be made at the same time as posting this form.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: