For one year you will be part of an international student community in Prague, gaining hands-on tools to work on real-world economics issues and policies in both business and public sectors, while enjoying the benefits of studying at a top economics research institution. The Master of Arts in Applied Economics degree empowers you with knowledge and skills to help you start a career in finance, economics or consultancy, to set up your own business or to pursue managerial positions.
Graduates of the MA in Applied Economics program will know how to:
- Approach difficult problems with an analytical mindset
- Design solutions that convincingly use data and evidence
- Understand, analyze, and interpret quantitative and qualitative data, based on a firm understanding of economic foundations
- Efficiently communicate their findings
- Collaborate in teams and in international environments
- Critically think about their future and prepare a career plan for their years after graduation
Our students most often give the following 7 reasons for why they like the program:
- The program is in English
- Real-life applications: the curriculum is firmly grounded in real-life applications, from extensive experience with data analysis to real-life project seminars.
- Prestige: CERGE-EI is a top European institute with professors who publish with Nobel Prize winners
- Small class setting and family-like atmosphere: Professors and expert professionals know each student well and the staff offers personalized and friendly student support
- Fast track: Three semesters completed in one year, allowing a faster career start
- International student community: students from over 30 countries currently roam our halls
- Place: Prague is a safe and vibrant European metropolis. CERGE-EI is housed in an historical building near Wenceslas Square.
The MA in Applied Economics is a US degree, nostrificated in the Czech Republic by Masaryk University.
Exceptionally well-prepared applicants are eligible for partial scholarships. Scholarship decisions are made by the Admissions Committee based on submitted documents and interview results. There is no special application to obtain a scholarship.
Scholarships are given in the form of tuition discounts for exceptionally well-prepared applicants, based on a complete application package (no special procedure to apply for a discount). The lowest tuition level is 7,000 USD. Full scholarships are not available.
It is possible for students to obtain bank loans and other support for study. The MA in Applied Economics program staff will be happy to provide documents required to apply for a study loan upon request.
Since its inception in 1991, CERGE-EI has educated students from 43 countries on 5 continents in modern economics. The graduate programs portfolio includes a career-oriented MA in Applied Economics and a theoretical, academia-oriented PhD in Economics. We also offer a Visiting Master's scheme for Master students from other universities who are interested in taking some PhD courses at CERGE-EI during their studies.