Leiden University Mandela Scholarship Fund
or Exchange and Study Abroad students from South Africa who would like to study at Leiden University for one semester. The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of five months.
Applicants must be:
- Permanent residents of South Africa;
- Enrolled in at South African University;
- Accepted for a semester programme at Leiden University as an Exchange student or Study Abroad student;
- Motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa;
- Committed to return to South Africa after their study period at Leiden University.
The scholarship amount differs for Exchange students and Study Abroad students:
International travel costs: € 1000
Living allowance: € 800 per month (for a maximum of five months)
Insurance: will be sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by the Scholarships Department of Leiden University.
Study Abroad Students
- Tuition fee: the actual fee
- International travel costs: € 1000
- Living allowance: € 800 per month (for a maximum of five months)
- Insurance: will be sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by the Scholarships Department of Leiden University.
The required application documents are:
- Application form (in Word-Format) (including a letter of motivation);
- Admission letter for a Study Abroad or Exchange programme at Leiden University;
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member);
- A transcript of academic records;
- An up-to-date Curriculum vitae;
- Photocopy of a valid passport and any other passports, if you have dual nationality;
- Copy of the outcome of other scholarship/grant applications;
- Proof that you can support yourself financially, since the Mandela Scholarship Fund is not sufficient to cover all expenses. Proof can be: 1) a letter that states that you receive a student grant and the exact amount and duration of this grant 2) a recent bank statement in your own name that shows that you have sufficient financial means to cover your expenses in The Netherlands 3) a notary statement declaring that your parents have sufficient financial means to support your study in The Netherlands.
The Student and Educational Affairs selection committee will review all applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit, motivation and prospects for future contribution towards the development of South Africa.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: