Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship
The Lee Kong Chian (LKC) Research Fellowship aims to facilitate new research and publishing about Singapore and Southeast Asian culture, economy and heritage. This will enrich the Asia-centric collections and resources of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library at the National Library of Singapore (NLS) and the National Archives of Singapore (NAS).
We welcome talented scholars and researchers to use our resources and services, and to collaborate with us on joint research projects to create new knowledge.
Preference is given to the following fields of research for 2017:
- Early printing history in Singapore – vernacular printing aside from Mission Press
- Peranakan literary works - literature in Malay by the Straits Chinese of Singapore and Malaysia
- Critical Inquiry on Singapore Contemporary Literature/ writers (or any art genres) post 1965
- Comparative studies between colonial and post-independence Singapore and/or Southeast Asia
- Social history of Singapore from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century through legal documents of the Koh Seow Chuan Collection
- Social history of Singapore through NLS's photographs collection (from donors and private collections from NLS and NAS)
- Asian Diaspora in the Southeast Asia with special reference to Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia
- Study of colonial governors and administrators in Singapore
- Maritime development in early Singapore
- Social history of early communities in Singapore
- Early land transaction in Singapore
- Singapore music
- In-depth study or comparative study of early Singapore newspapers
- Study of the Royal Air Force Seletar Association archives from the NAS collection
- Research on Chinese dialect group using the oral history collection
In addition to the stipend, overseas Fellows will be provided with a one-time relocation package of $1,500, a one-time return airfare of up to $1500 (reimbursement basis), and monthly accommodation allowance of up to $2,500 (reimbursement basis).
Applications should be emailed to LKCRF@nlb.gov.sg or mailed to the following address by 30 June 2017.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.