Koç University Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations will offer a brand new intensive program this summer. The Summer Program for Ottoman and Turkish will be conducted in Beyoglu, Istanbul. It is open to graduate students interested in contuining their study of Ottoman. The program will also offer additional courses in both Persian and Turkish language to those who want to improve their skills.
The program will give participants the chance to read and translate Ottoman Turkish texts in various contexts. The readings will include histories, hagiographies, literary texts, legal documents, court registers, etc.
● Participants will stay in the RCAC Building, located in Beyoglu.
● August 2nd – August 7th will be spent in the Koç University main campus. The students will stay in single rooms.
● Dinner will be included 4 days a week.
● Participants should have at least 1 year of Ottoman knowledge. Arabic and/or Persian preferred.
● Ottoman classes will be offered in Intermediate and Advanced levels.
● Classes will be four days a week.
● Every Wednesday there will be guest lecturers.
● Teaching assistants will help students with their assignments.
● There will be guided trips to research libraries and archives in Istanbul on Fridays (see program page for details).
● Upon completion of the program, each participant will be awarded 3 credits.
● Scholarships are available and given based on need and merit.
This program is open to everyone who has the following qualifications:
● Candidates must be enrolled in a Masters or a Phd program in related disciplines.
● At least 1 year of Ottoman instruction.
● Knowledge of Arabic and/or Persian is preferred.
Please review the requirements section and make sure that you are eligible to apply. Then, send all the documents below to Merve Demirbas at email@example.com before the April 15 deadline.
2. Current CV
3. One recommendation letter (Especially commenting on the Turkish and Ottoman language skills of the candidate, preferably from a language instructor)
4. Statement of purpose (This is only necessary for those of you who want to qualify for a scholarship. Tell us why we should give the scholarship to you).
5. Copy of your passport
After the deadline, the program professors come together and evaluate all candidates. We send out an email to all candidates by the first week of May and announce the results.
We expect all candidates to accept or reject our offer within a week.
For those who are accepted in the program are expected to do the following steps:
1. Fill out the Special Student Form (This is only required for those who want to receive credit for the program).
2. Transfer the tuition fee to one of the accounts here with the explanation "Ottoman Summer Program"
3. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm that you have made the payment.
Tuition for Summer 2015 will be 2,650 EUR / 3,000 USD.
Please note that airfare and visa expenses are each participants’ own responsibility.
The tuition includes:
Accommodation at RCAC
Accommodation at Koç Main Campus between August 2nd - 7th
All course material
Dinner four days a week
All expenses of field trips
Full access to the RCAC Library
We will offer a limited number of scholarships based on need and merit.
The scholarships can be categorized as;
1. Full Scholarships (Candidates will only be required to pay for airfare and personal expenses)
2. Half Scholarships (Candidates will be asked to pay half of the total tuition. They will also be asked to pay for airfare and personal expenses
3. Sâmiha Ayverdi and Ilhan Ayverdi Scholarship from Kubbealtı Academy Culture and Art Foundation (2 half scholarships will be awarded to Turkish students only).
We will announce the number of scholarships very soon.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: