Call-for-Applications Kinder Postdoctoral Fellow in American Political Thought & Constitutionalism
The Kinder Institute on Constitutional Democracy at the University of Missouri is currently accepting applications for a 2018-19 Postdoctoral Fellow in American Political Thought and Constitutionalism, with the possibility of renewal for the 2019-20 academic year. Founded in 2014, the Kinder Institute is an interdisciplinary signature academic center at MU dedicated to excellence in research, teaching, and community engagement on the subject of American political thought, history, and institutions, with a particular emphasis on the ideas and events of the American Founding and their continued global impact and relevance today.
A Ph.D. in Political Science or Government is required by the time the fellowship begins in August 2018. Candidates’ work should align broadly with the Kinder Institute’s scholarly mission, and we are especially interested in individuals whose research focuses on American constitutional and political development and/or American political thought and would be enriched by working with a faculty mentor or faculty mentors at the Kinder Institute. A detailed outline of the expectations and requirements of the Kinder Postdoctoral Fellowship, as well as salary and benefits associated with the appointment, can be found below.
To apply, please submit the following materials: a letter of interest, research proposal of no more than 10 pages, curriculum vitae, two emblematic examples of written scholarship, and sample syllabi for two courses that you would be interested in teaching or developing. In addition, applicants should supply three letters of reference, sealed or under separate cover, or emailed directly by the referee. All materials should be sent to Kinder Institute Communications Associate Thomas Kane, electronically at KaneTC@missouri.edu, using “Kinder Postdoctoral Fellowship” in the subject line, or by post to: Thomas Kane, Kinder Institute on Constitutional Democracy, 409A Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO, 65211. Specific queries about the position should be directed to Kinder Institute Director and Professor of Political Science Justin Dyer (DyerJB@missouri.edu).
Kinder Postdoctoral Fellowship Appointment Terms
The following terms and conditions apply to all Postdoctoral Fellowships offered by the Kinder Institute.
- Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
- Salary: $50,000 annually (to be paid monthly during the appointment period)
- Professional Development/Travel Funds: The Institute will provide all Postdoctoral Fellows with $5,000 in E&E funds at the beginning of the appointment that may be applied to conference travel, costs associated with research, and/or other approved professional expenses
- FTE: 100%, full-time, 9-month appointment
- Appointment Period: August 15, 2018 – May 31, 2019
- Teaching Responsibilities: One three-hour undergraduate course per semester
- Tenure Status: Not eligible for tenure
- Renewal Status: Renewable once, for the 2019-20 academic year
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.