Fellowships 2018 - 2019
The Käte Hamburger Kolleg Dynamics in the History of Religions between Asia and Europe invites applications for
Research Fellowships for periods of 3 to 6 months during the academic year October 2018 - September 2019.
The KHK invites applications from scholars who are working on case studies of religious encounters with a focus on a particular geographical region, a particular period of time and a particular constellation of encounters between two or more religions. Each case study will map the occasions as well as the historical and social contexts of such encounters. Most importantly, the proposals will have to address the issues (e.g. doctrine, practice, cosmology, etc.) relevant to the respective contact situations.
Case studies concerning any period, religion or area within Eurasia are welcome. However, in the following you find a list of periods and areas that are of particular interest for us:
Antiquity & Late Antiquity
- Religious contacts in the Byzantine empire in Antiquity and the Middle Ages (particularly with regard to the Balkan region and the Christianisation of Eastern Europe);
- Religious contacts in Island Mediterranean: Cyprus, Crete, Rhodes;
- Religions and religious contacts in Pre-Islamic Arabia;
- Religious contacts between North-Africa and Southern Europe in Late Antiquity;
- Religious contacts in South Asia in the phase of “Indianisation”.
- Religious contacts during the Early Middle Ages in Europe and the rise of early medieval Christian mission;
- Religious contacts during the rise of the Cathars and Bogomils: Cathar/Bogomil-Christian-Jewish;
- Religious contacts in medieval Sicily;
- Religious contacts between Latin West and Mongol Empire;
- Religious contacts in/within the Mongol Empire (including Nestorian and western Christians; indigenous Mongol religions as well as Islam and Buddhism);
- Jewish-Christian contacts in Northern Europe;
- Religious contacts in early Islamic history (7th-9th century CE);
- Religious contacts with/within medieval Islamic Empires;
- Religious contacts during the Crusades and in the Latin East;
- Religious contacts in the medieval Baltic;
- Religious contact in Western Central Asia in Medieval times and with regards to Islam (e.g. its contact with Buddhism, Nestorianism or Manichaeism);
- Religious contacts in South Asia in the Middle Ages;
- Religious contacts in Medieval and Early Modern Iran.
What we can offer
- time and space for research in a high-quality interdisciplinary environment;
- up to EURO 5,800 per month fellowship as a grant or as a salary for fellows, as a substitute at their home institution;
- an excellent infrastructure (location near Bochum Campus in Germany, libraries, inter-library loan etc.);
- travel expenses related to research activities (subject to approval);
- means for organizing conferences or workshops on religious contacts (subject to approval).
What we expect
- the publication of results from your case study in the form of one or more articles as a contribution to our online journal Entangled Religions;
- the willingness to make use, in your case study, of theoretical concepts developed at the KHK over the past years, including specific critical evaluations of of e.g. “purity”, “secret”, “tradition”, “media”, “the senses”, “the immanence/transcendence-distinction” and “dynamics/stability”;
- your residence and continuous presence in Bochum during your fellowship;
- your committed participation to the activities of the Käte Hamburger Kolleg.
- Applicants must at least hold a Ph.D.
Online Journal Entangled Religions
More information on the project will be published soon.
Ruhr-Universität Bochum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and members of minorities to apply. Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, a current CV, including a list of publications, and an exposé of the intended research (approximately 3-5 pages). Application materials should be submitted by e-mail only as a single pdf-file. Please send your application before August 31, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.