Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
*The developing countries listed in the latest OECD DAC list.
The scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
*150,000 JPY is the average monthly living cost for an international student without dependents in Tokyo, although this amount may vary depending on the lifestyle of the student.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. Strong interest in sustainability studies;
2. Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
3. A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes
Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
*Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2016 – may also apply.
4. A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
5. English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT)
- 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT)
- 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to the Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose first language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
UNU-IAS requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991.For more information on TOEFL, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-IAS.For more information on IELTS, please visit http://www.ielts.org/
- Application Processing Fee: None
- Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
Estimated total expenses for the PhD degree programme for 3 years including tuition are approximately 83,500 USD. Applicants must show financial resources adequate to meet the full costs of educational and living expenses.