International Court of Justice Law Internship
The traineeship programme is similar to a judicial clerkship or judicial assistantship and provides an opportunity for one Oxford student or recent graduate to work for nearly a year at the leading international tribunal in the world. The person selected will work closely with the members of the Court on tasks such as drafting opinions, orders and other court documents; preparing case files and researching a variety of legal issues.
As the result of a very generous donation from Sir Frank Berman KCMG QC, and further funds raised by members of the Oxford Public International law subject group, the Oxford Law Faculty is able to offer funding to the person selected for traineeship. The traineeship programme will take place from 1 September 2016 – 30 June 2017. The Faculty may put forward one or more names to the Court, which will make the final decision on the selection for the internship.
If you wish to apply for the ICJ traineeship please submit the following documents to Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 28 January 2016:
- A letter of application describing the applicant’s background in international law and reasons for wishing to undertake the internship.
- A completed ICJ University Traineeship Application Form.
- A CV [The ICJ also asks that candidates indicate their age].
- Official academic transcripts.
- At least two letters of reference, preferably from individuals able to speak to the candidate's abilities in field of international law. In the case of current research students, at least one of the referees should be the applicant’s supervisor.
- A writing sample which should not exceed 15 pages. The sample should be work that has been submitted for publication or other work of publishable quality (e.g. part of a thesis, dissertation or a paper).
Please note that cover letters and references should be addressed to: Mr Philippe Couvreur, Registrar, International Court of Justice, Peace Palace, The Hague, Netherlands. These documents should be included in your submission when emailing Jenny Hassan.