The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University (The Mittal Institute) offers opportunities for scholars and practitioners to utilize the university’s resources to contribute to self-driven, independent research.Scholars who have not had past opportunities to access Harvard’s resources and who have primarily been educated at institutions in South Asia will be prioritized. Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the time of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute.
Babar Ali Fellowship
The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute is pleased to offer the Syed Babar Ali Fellowship to support recent PhDs, those in the final stages of their PhDs, and advanced professional degree holders in areas related to Pakistan. Priority will be given to candidates who demonstrate prior educational history that has taken place largely in Pakistan, and plan to return to Pakistan upon completion of the fellowship.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the academic semester of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. The fellowship lasts for a duration of one academic semester (either the Fall or Spring). Applicants may indicate their preference through the application form down below. Participation includes contributing to the greater Harvard community by teaching, mentoring, or advising students.
Total stipend for one semester: $20,000
Health insurance up to $5,000 and round trip economy travel expenses from South Asia to Boston will also be provided (for participants residing in South Asia only).
All reimbursements and stipends are limited to the dates of the appointment.
Deadline: February 8, 2019
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form. This application form is the common application for both the Aman Fellowship and the Babar Ali Fellowship. Applying through this form makes you a candidate of both fellowships. If you would prefer the Babar Ali Fellowship, please indicate this preference on the Mittal Institute Fellowship Cover Sheet. Once all applications are received and reviewed, the Mittal Institute will offer the final candidates either the Aman Fellowship OR the Babar Ali Fellowship, based on fit and the applicant’s academic interest.
- Fill out and upload the Mittal Institute Fellowship Cover Sheet to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a five-page, double-spaced research plan to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae, which lists your academic degrees (including disciplines and the dates the degrees were received), your publications and research presentations, and any previous grants and/or fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (i.e. one dissertation chapter) to the Online Application Form.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: