This eight-week program at the Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), University of Trento, Italy, provides a unique opportunity to study the mind/brain.
Taught by faculty from Harvard and the University of Trento, the courses include lectures and hands-on laboratory sessions (e.g., neuroimaging demonstrations). Depending on the demand, the program may also include a noncredit Italian language class. In addition to courses, you have the opportunity to learn about cognitive science research by participating in experiments, and attending talks and presentations organized at the research center.
You enroll in two 4-week courses. Instruction is in English. Courses generally run Monday through Thursday with Fridays dedicated to program outings. During the program, you receive housing and a meal plan at the University of Trento, where they have the opportunity to interact with Italian students.
Program outings and trips are designed to immerse you in Italian culture and tradition. There are hikes in the Italian Alps, a weekend getaway on Lake Garda (Italy’s largest lake), and day and overnight trips to nearby cities such as Verona, Venice, and Florence. On free weekends, you can organize additional trips to nearby lakes (Lake Caldonazzo, Lake Levico, or Lake Garda) or to explore other popular destinations in Italy (in the past students visited Milan, Rome, and Tuscany).
You must be at least 18 years old and have completed at least one year of college or be a first-year student in good academic standing to apply.
The application materials, outlined below, are due January 28, 2016:
- A completed online application (available in early December) that includes:
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee
- A personal statement of interest in the program, including information on relevant coursework and travel experience abroad (previous travel is not a prerequisite)
- Transcripts (student record accepted for Harvard students)
- Letter(s) of recommendation from a current or most recent teacher or advisor, mailed to the Study Abroad Office (Study Abroad Office, Room 525, 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138) or e-mailed in PDF format directly from the recommender firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Harvard College applicants should submit one recommendation
- Non-Harvard applicants are asked to submit two letters of recommendation
Program directors may ask for interviews.
You will be notified of admission decisions by mid-February.
There is a nonrefundable $50 application fee. The program cost includes the following:
- Room and most meals
- Field trips
In addition to the program fee, you are responsible for:
- A health insurance fee (waived if you have US insurance that provides coverage outside the United States)
- Transportation to and from Trento
- Independent excursions
- The cost of passports and visas (if the latter is needed)
- Any immunizations
How to pay and funding options
See Payment and Funding for payment deadlines, deposit amounts, and more information, including funding options for Harvard College students.
You receive on-campus housing at the University of Trento. Accommodations include single and double rooms. There is access to lounge areas and kitchens in the individual entryways. Laundry facilities are also available on site.
Contact James Blasina at email@example.com.
Students with disabilities
Contact the disability services coordinator as soon as possible. See Students with Disabilities for more information.