Graduate Research Assistantship in Education, University of Leicester
The School of Education is pleased to offer a funded Graduate Research Assistantship for January 2016 entry to its Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme.
This Graduate Research Assistantship is available for full-time registration. The successful applicant will receive a full UK/EU tuition fee waiver for four years subject to annual progress review.
The successful applicant will also receive an annual stipend and salary package worth £13,863 each year.
About Graduate Research Assistantships
Graduate Research Assistantships allow research students to fund their PhD through part-time research support work with the University.
A Graduate Research Assistant is responsible to the Head of School and is expected to undertake research-related duties within the School - not normally exceeding eight hours per week - while undertaking research leading to a PhD.
Approximately 80% of their time will be spent on their doctoral research and 20% on their GRA responsibilities. Training is provided to help Graduate Research Assistants develop their research related skills and enhance their professional competencies.
- First class or upper second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification in education studies or a relevant subject
- A Masters degree in education studies or a relevant subject is required
- Research experience is required - e.g., through a previous degree or a professional context
- Skills in the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data and in the use of appropriate analysis software such as SPSS and Nvivo.
- Standard English language requirements
- Available to suitable UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants - please note though that the award covers tuition fees at the UK/EU rate only; international applicants (and those not eligible to pay UK/EU tuition fees) must demonstrate at the time of their application that they can fund the difference in tuition fee rates
- Available for full-time registration only
- Applicants must be able to start in January 2016
- Deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting documents is 30 November 2015. Those applicants that have not submitted all the appropriate supporting documents by the deadline will not be considered.
- Interviews will take place at the School of Education between the following dates 7-11 December 2015.
Informal enquiries are welcome - please contact the School's Postgraduate Tutor, Dr Saeeda Shah:
- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- +44 (0)116 229 7522
1. Draft a research proposal that tells us what you want to research, how you intend to do it, and why it is worth doing
2. Prepare your supporting documents - with your application you need to include proof that you meet the academic and English language entry requirements:
- include all relevant certificates/diplomas and transcripts
- international applicants must provide official copies of their entire course transcripts including explanations of the mark schemes used and, where possible, an indication of their class ranking/position in class
- supporting documents not in English must be provided with a certified English translation
You must also provide contact details for two academic (not personal) referees who can comment on your suitability for the research degree programme
Important Advice for Applicants
- This position will remain open until filled - so early application is strongly encouraged
- Applications that do not include a full research proposal and the required supporting documents will not be considered
- In the Fees and Financial Support section of the application, applicants must state that they wish to be considered for this January 2016 Graduate Research Assistantship in Education (Ref. Open)