Job vacancy: Fulltime ERC Postdoctoral Researcher (2 years) at Ghent University (Belgium)
The ERC-funded research group Novel Saints. Studies in Ancient Fiction and Hagiography of the Department of Literary Studies at Ghent University (Belgium) is seeking a specialist in hagiography to work as a Database Coordinator. The Principal Investigator is Prof Dr Koen De Temmerman.
The successful applicant will start employment on 1st January 2020 at the earliest. In order to be eligible, candidates must have obtained their PhD degree at the time of application or demonstrate convincingly that they will have that degree in hand by the start of their employment. Applicants should have a PhD degree on the subject of late antique and/or medieval Christian hagiography (or a related field) in one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Armenian, Coptic, Ethiopic, Georgian, Greek, Latin, Slavonic and/or Syriac. Applicants whose expertise is in one or more of the oriental languages in that list are particularly encouraged to apply. Good IT-skills are required.
The database charts thematically-selected hagiographical narratives in a variety of late antique and medieval languages. The research assistant will contribute new entries to the database, identify areas for further development, coordinate the progress of the database, work with other contributors (both external and internal) and liaise with the publisher about the print version of the database. He/she will also actively participate with the PI and/or other team members in publications.
For this position, we offer:
1. a contract for one year of full-time employment as a postdoctoral researcher, followed by a renewal for another year upon positive evaluation (a longer contract with a lower percentage of employment can be negotiated);
2. an internationally competitive salary that depends on seniority and corresponds to the salary scales for postdoctoral researchers as established by the Flemish government;
3. office space in the University and a solid and engaging academic working environment with a strong international profile. The successful candidate will be able to interact with scholars and students affiliated with various departments and research institutes at Ghent University, such as the Department of Literary Studies , the Department of History , the Department of Oriental Studies, the Ghent Institute for Classical Studies, the Henri Pirenne Institute for Medieval Studies, the Ghent Centre for the Study of Christian Traditions , and the Group of Early Modern Studies .
Profile of the candidate
For this position, we expect that the successful applicant
1. will contribute to the strong research tradition of the Department and the University by coordinating an online database according to the latest research findings; 2. will come and live in Belgium, work closely together with the other team members and the project’s international advisory board, and contribute to a pleasant and stimulating atmosphere;
3. will contribute to the scholarly activities of the research group (e.g. by organizing events in collaboration with the Principal Investigator and/or other members of the team, etc.).
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.