Applications are invited for full-time positions, starting as soon as possible, each with an initial contract of three years and an option for additional three years, subject to a successful evaluation. The positions are designed for further professional qualification as defined in § 2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act). The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
We seek applications for each of the four Regional Institutes of the GIGA in connection to a specific GIGA Research Programme. The research profile and agenda of the candidates should have a clear fit with the following combinations:
1.) research profile on Africa with a focus on “Accountability and Participation” (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-13)
2.) research profile on Asia with a focus on “Growth and Development” (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-14) 3.) research profile on Latin America with a focus on “Peace and Security” (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-15)
4.) research profile on the Middle East with a focus on “Power and Ideas” (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-16)
The successful candidates will:
- conduct excellent research fitting the respective Regional Institute’s and Research Programme’s research agenda and with impact in his/her field
- be an active member of the respective Regional Institute and Research Programme
- pursue a targeted publication strategy, acquire third-party funding, and conduct research-based knowledge transfer
- Outstanding doctorate in political science, economics, sociology or other social science disciplines
- Area expertise in the respective GIGA research region
- Experience in interdisciplinary and comparative research and interest in comparative area studies
- Excellent academic record in relevant fields demonstrated by publications in renowned peer-reviewed journals and/or leading publishing houses
- Excellent quantitative and/or qualitative methodological skills
- English-language proficiency; additional language skills relevant to the research region are an asset
- Successful record in third-party funding acquisition is an asset
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.