Gerda Henkel Foundation General Research Grants 2017 for Scholars
Support is primarily provided for the historical humanities, in particular to support research projects in the fields of Archaeology, Art History, Historical Islamic Studies, History, History of Law, History of Science, Prehistory and Early History.
Applications for research projects and research scholarships can be made in connection with the general research grant programme. Candidates can apply regardless of their nationality and place of work.
TYPE AND SCOPE OF THE FUNDING
The grants for research projects involve, depending on the type of project, the assumption of costs for personnel, travel, materials and/or other costs.
For projects that are conducted by one scholar alone, a research scholarship has to be applied for.
Project staff on research projects may only be financed by PhD or research grants. A fundamental prerequisite for a grant is that project staff conduct their own research, which is published under their name. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible.
The period of support for Foundation stipend holders working on Ph.D. or research projects can be extended by up to 12 months if the holder becomes a parent during the period covered by the stipend and has an entitlement to maternity or parental leave. Individual arrangements must be discussed with the Foundation’s administrative office.
The application deadline for the Foundation committees autumn meeting in 2017 is 14 June, 2017. Applications have to be in the Foundation's office by this day.
The deadline is not valid for smaller funding amounts (max. 15,000 euros). Smaller funding amounts are granted by the Foundation through a simplified procedure with a deliberation time of approximately three to four months. Applications can be sent at any time. Please follow the exact same application procedure for smaller funding amounts as for regular research projects.
The following forms are to be attached to an application for financial support for a research project (German or English) and to be sent by postal mail to the Foundation:
- printout of the completed electronic form
- description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- documents printed on one side only, at least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5 (We kindly ask you to keep to the
- formal requirements on how to compile application documents)
- time schedule, travel itinerary (if needed)
- detailed cost calculation
- The specific funds being applied for must be precisely defined.
- The Foundation can't cover any college or tuition fees.
- The Foundation can't cover overhead costs.
- curriculum vitae and list of publications of the applicant(s)
- if appropriate, curriculum vitae and list of publications of the proposed project participant(s)
- if appropriate, academic certificates of the project participant(s) (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not
- send Bachelor certificates)
If also a scholarship for the applicant is planned:
- one letter of recommendation. References have to be signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation. A signed version by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax is accepted. It is possible to submit more than one letter of recommendation.
- academic certificates of the applicant (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
- if necessary, a declaration that unpaid leave from the current position is possible
- Please take note of our new criteria regarding the applications for a research scholarship: Continue
After having sent the electronic application form, we kindly ask you to send us a printout of the completed application form along with the other documents by mail.
NEW CRITERIA FOR APPLICATIONS
• Applications for a “research scholarship for post-doctoral researchers” may only be made if applicants received their PhD within the last ten years. The relevant date is that on the PhD certificate. (This restriction does not apply to research scholarships after Post Doctoral Lecture Qualification.)
• The dissertation must have already been published at the time the application is made. The presentation of a publishing contract is not sufficient in this regard.
• The topic of the proposed research project must clearly differ from the topic of the PhD thesis.
Criteria for applicants previously funded by the Foundation:
• Applications may only be made if applicants received a previous Gerda Henkel Foundation research scholarship more than five years ago. The relevant date for calculating the timeframe is the date on the final report.
Criteria for applicants previously rejected by the Foundation:
• No renewed application for a project rejected by the Gerda Henkel Foundation may be made.
• Applications for a new project may be made if the last rejected application was made more than three years ago. The relevant date for calculating the timeframe is the date on the letter of rejection.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION FORM FOR THE FOUNDATION
1. Please complete the application form in full.
2. The application form can be saved at any time. You can return to and edit the form for a period of ten days. You can access the form via your own personal link. Following this period, your data will be deleted from the server.
3. Once you have completed the form, you will receive a short summary, which you should print out, sign and send to the Foundation together with the remaining application documents.
4. During the transmission process your data will be sent to the Foundation in electronic form. Confirmation of receipt will be sent to the e-mail address provided in the application.
Please note the following additional information:
- Your data will be stored by the Gerda Henkel Foundation for the purpose of processing your application and will not be passed on to third parties.
- The Gerda Henkel Foundation will be happy to provide you with information about the data that we have stored on your person at any time. If so required, personal data can be changed or deleted.
- This form may only be used to make an application to the Gerda Henkel Foundation. The Foundation reserves the right to delete application data without prior notification, if necessary.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: