What is the Summer Fellowship Program?
The Summer Fellowship Program is the cornerstone program of the IRTS Foundation. Often referred to as a “media boot camp,” this highly selective program teaches a talented group of up-and-coming communicators the realities of the business world through an all-expense-paid internship in New York City, which includes practical experience and career-planning advice.
The Summer Fellowship Program, the most notable student out-reach effort of IRTS, teaches up-and-coming communicators the realities of the business world through an expense-paid fellowship, which includes practical experience and career-planning advice. Each year college juniors, seniors and graduate students are selected nationwide to participate in the nine-week Summer Fellowship Program.
The Program begins with an extensive one-week orientation to broadcasting, cable, advertising, and interactive media. Fellows have a rare opportunity to question industry professionals at panels, lectures, and group discussions. They also take related field trips and learn career planning, networking and interviewing skills by attending industry social functions.
Following this first week, Fellows gain full-time "real world" experience at New York-based media corporations to which each is assigned for the duration of the nine-week Fellowship. Fellows are then able to reinforce or redefine specific career goals before settling into a permanent job in the electronic media industry.
Those selected for the Fellowship receive:
- Round trip travel to and from NYC. (air, train, or driving mileage reimbursement)
- Housing at a downtown Manhattan university dormitory in a shared suite setting.
- A living allowance to defray cost of food and personal expenses.
- A full-time internship at a top New York media company that aligns with a student’s interests and career goals. Weekly events including panel discussions, company visits and speakers.
- The IRTS Foundation also provides extensive career counseling and networking opportunities to ensure that each student makes the most of this New York experience!
Additional Program Details:
The IRTS Summer Fellowship Program has had a key role in launching the careers of top professionals in the media business for more than 40 years. This nine-week expense-paid opportunity begins with a comprehensive one-week orientation to cable, broadcasting, advertising, and digital media. Fellows have a rare opportunity to question a stellar line-up of industry leaders at company visits, panel discussions, and negotiation simulations. Following this first week, Fellows gain full-time "real world" experience at New York-based media corporations to which each is assigned for the duration of the Fellowship. Throughout the summer, Fellows also learn how to successfully network by attending industry events and by conducting informational interviews with executives. Participants emerge from this program with a strong understanding of our entire business, along with carefully honed skills in career planning, resume writing, and interviewing. Fellows are then able to reinforce or redefine specific career goals before starting a career within the media industry.
Who is selected to participate?
- Students selected for this highly competitive program are required to be enrolled full-time at a college or university.
- Applicant must be a Junior, Senior, or Graduate Student who will not graduate prior to April 2016, in order to be considered.
- Accomplished students from all majors (including math, computer science, business, marketing, communications, etc.) are encouraged to apply!
- Students who are selected have a strong academic record, provide a detailed and proofread application, and display a strong interest in learning about the media industry even if their major is in a seemingly unrelated field.
Please click the link below to download the 2016 Application. 2016 FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION
Applications and One-Page Resume must be submitted as a Word Document or a PDF in the following format:
Last Name.First Name.SFP16.Application
Example: Smith.John.SFP16.Application and Smith.John.Resume
All applications are due Sunday, November 1, 2015, midnight EST
*** All applicants will be notified on or before November 24 via email regarding their status for the Semi-Finalist application round. ***
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: