Research and Training Fellowship: Europe and Central Asia (Russian-speaking)
The selected candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for Europe and Central Asia, and will also provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas in relation to our work in the region, as required. The fellowship will be for nine months and is based in Front Line Defenders' office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The fellowship is designed to provide training and practical work experience in an international non-governmental organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights. The fellow will learn about Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur; the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders; the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders in the region. He/She will be expected to participate in induction, periodic reviews, weekly team and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinator working on Europe and Central Asia, including dealing with queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Input HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders' database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in countries in the region;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, or other materials;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Provide support to staff across other programme areas in relation to activities carried out in the region, including in particular in the organisation of and follow-up on trainings;
- Work on other specific projects and tasks relating to human rights defenders as requested.
Applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be sent to Ed O’Donovan, Head of Protection, at email@example.com by 17 May 2017. The next Research & Training Fellowship – Europe and Central Asia will start at the beginning of July 2017 for a period of nine months.
Front Line Defenders is able to provide a contribution to living costs of €1200 per month. Please note that the cost of living in Dublin is high and that you may need additional funds to sustain your stay in Ireland.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff, interns and volunteers are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.