The contest is international and addressed to the European area. It is specifically directed at the new generations in order to encourage future professionals to create original projects, which are characterized by the dynamic interaction between the contemporary creativity of theatre, the languages of the visual arts and of the new media.
The initiative is aimed also at developing moments of exchange and sharing between young artists and experts from the three fields of competence. For this purpose a series of workshops will be held.
In pursuing its objectives, the initiative will also be closely examining the works which originate from the projects of students who are active in educational and training initiatives of institutions which are based in Europe.
Special attention will be given to projects submitted by groups formed by members from different areas of training and interest.
The contestants are asked to conceive an original and unpublished theatrical action, low budget and small format, organically connected to the languages and issues of contemporary visual arts. The candidate action has to maintain as its founding elements the stage environment and performing talent, include dramaturgy and give specific attention to the visual potential of recent information and communication technologies.
The contestants should submit projects which have the ability to be sustainable, shareable and adaptable and, in keeping with the logic of the contest, the applying theatrical action must be able to fit in an ideal 4mx4mx4m size box and should last no longer than 16 minutes.
In accordance with the aim of the contest, no monetary prizes will be given.
- SEMI-FINALISTS. The semi-finalist video clips will be published on the website www.triestecontemporanea.it. The one of them, ranked first in an on-line public vote, will be awarded the ONLINE SQUEEZE IT AWARD 2016. The winner will be invited to participate in the workshop of the finalists.
- FINALISTS. Finalists will actually perform their theatrical action in the final evening of the competition, to be staged in November 2016 in Trieste. They will be invited as well to participate in a formative and indepth workshop on issues relating to the three creative sectors that are object of the contest. The workshop will be held in November 2016 in various venues of the Friuli Venezia Giulia region.
- The WINNER OF THE FRANCO JESURUN AWARD 2016 will be given the opportunity to collaborate with an internationally renowned video artist with whom he will realize a professional video work of the winning theatrical action. The 2016 guest director will be prof. Dalibor Martinis. The video will premiere in Trieste and then will be screened in Europe through the international network of the organizers.
An international jury composed of representatives respectively from the world of theatre, of contemporary art, and of the latest territories of communication will evaluate eligibility of projects submitted, then select the semi-finalists and the finalists and ultimately give out the Franco Jesurun Award.
The evaluations of the jury are final.
The names of the components of the jury will be announced on the website www.triestecontemporanea.it.
Requirments for participation
The competition is open to young contestants under the age of 30, born in EU member countries, in CEI member states, in Kosovo* and in Turkey.
Any group competing should indicate a project leader. All participants must be born after September 10,1986 and in the countries listed above.
(* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence).
Application procedure and deadline
There is no fee for applying.
The application must be submitted by midnight of SEPTEMBER 10, 2016 (Italian time).
All the application's documents have to be written in English. Applications are processed exclusively online through the full completion of the form available at
The individual or group candidate is requested to upload the following documentation (formats and sizes of files are specified in the application form):
- personal data and an Identification Document of the applying individual/project leader;
- curriculum vitae of the applying individual or of the project leader/group;
- in case of an applying group, names, dates and places of birth of its members;
- title of the project and its abstract;
- written presentation of the project;
- a video clip of the proposed action, which does not exceed 4 minutes;
- up to 2 other documents containing any other material which is added as pertinent to the candidacy.
- the format and maximum size of the documents to upload are specified in the online application form.
Both the submitted theatrical action and the video clip of it must be unpublished.
Only candidacies with complete documentation which has been submitted online will be accepted.
Phases of contest
SEMI-FINALIST WORKS. By the end of September the list of semi-finalists, selected by the jury from among the eligible projects submitted, will be announced on the website www.triestecontemporanea.it and their video clips will be put online.
The online viewer will be able to vote on them till mid-November.
- FINALIST WORKS. By the end of September will also be communicated the list of finalist works selected by the jury.
- SQUEEZE IT FINAL EVENING AND AWARD CEREMONY. The selected finalists will present their theatrical action in the contest’s final evening, open to the public and in the presence of the jury, which will take place in Trieste in November.
At the end of the final evening the jury will decide the winner of the FRANCO JESURUN AWARD 2016 and will announce the winner of the ONLINE SQUEEZE IT AWARD 2016. If a finalist, regardless the reason, does not show up for the final evening, he will be eliminated from the contest.
- WORKSHOP. The selected finalists and the winner of the online vote will be invited to participate in a 3-days workshop in venues of the Friuli Venezia Giulia region, to be held in the days before the final evening.
- PRODUCTION AND PRESENTATION OF THE WINNER'S VIDEO. From the theatrical action awarded the Franco Jesurun Award the organisers will produce the final video work.
The film will be presented to the press, discussed in a public meeting and premiered in Friuli Venezia Giulia and then circulated in Europe by the organisers through their network of international collaborations.
Publication of the contest's results
The results of the contest will be available on internet on the www.triestecontemporanea.it website. They will also be announced to the European media and newspapers by organisers.
Publication of the competition results
- SQUEEZE IT FINAL EVENING. The performance of the theatrical actions of the finalists will take place on the same stage (4x4x4 meters), in a continuous flow, each action lasting 16 minutes and alternating with each speech of presentation. At the end of each theatrical action, in fact, each finalist/project leader will be invited to expound and discuss the project with the jury for 16 minutes in order to let the following finalist have time for setting his stage. The organisers will provide a predefined stage set up and technical equipment to be agreed with finalists and will sustain their costs. Any other needs and other costs pertaining to the production and performance of each theatrical action (which should in any case answer to the spirit of the low budget initiative), will be the responsibility of each finalist.
- REFUNDS. Travel and accommodation expenses, pertaining to the final evening and to the participation in the workshop, of the finalists and of the winner of the online award (1 individual/group leader + 1 eventual added collaborator) will be paid by the organization. Travel and accommodation expenses will also be provided to people involved in the shooting of the final video.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: