START DATE: ASAP
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 15, 2018
We are seeking an origination partner with a strong background in data science/artificial intelligence/machine learning to lead an exploration team that will be working on generating commercializable scientific breakthrough ideas. The partner will play a critical role in the hypothesis generation process and shape the team’s vision and strategy. S/he will bring a strong applied science and entrepreneurial orientation, demonstrate strong communication skills, and be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
• Lead the venture hypothesis exploration process by supervising and collaborating closely with research associates on the data science team;
• Assess the ideas generated by the team on their novelty, feasibility, and suitability for the market, make strategic decisions on which venture hypotheses to pursue exploration on,
• Work to flesh out and articulate vision, value proposition and plan for new breakthrough, AI/data science venture;
• Work with Principal and Associates to formulate and vet new Venture Hypotheses based on breakthrough scientific and technological insights:
- Explore intellectual property landscape and define opportunity for developing and capturing novel and broad intellectual property;
- Define key scientific experiments, plan and budget to instantiate and derisk the opportunity space (ProtoCo phase);
- Reach out to Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), engage in scientific discussions to pressure test hypotheses, and network and establish deep relationships;
- Formulate hypotheses and corresponding thought experiments, mine/review scientific literature for supporting data, and synthesize in the form of presentation (Exploration phase);
• Help identify, vet and recruit prospective employees for company (Research Associate to VP level);
• Generate and support intellectual property for core projects, develop intellectual property strategy for company;
• Monitor and evaluate analytical aspects of new and emerging technologies;
• Manage research relationships with external academic consultants and collaborators;
• Participate in data science syllabus creation, and conduct trainings.
• Ph.D. in data science, computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics or a related field with 5+ years of experience
• Proficiency in relevant programming/scripting languages such as Python or R and standard command line tools
• In depth experience in one or more of the following areas: natural language processing, speech recognition, voice recognition, image processing, expert systems, or a related field
• Expertise in one or more of the core machine learning areas such as: ANNs, SVMs, reinforcement learning, probabilistic rule-based learning
• Experience in algorithm generation and/or computational method implementation
• Demonstrated experience with large-scale data and high throughput data analysis, network analysis and meta analyses.
• Expertise in one or more of such areas as: Bayesian approaches, Markov models, Gaussian processes, game theory, decision theory
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
• Team oriented, highly motivated, execution focused with strong work ethic, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment
• Highly adaptable and responsive to technical and business opportunities and needs – comfortable delivering against challenging commitments.
All interested candidates are kindly requested to submit their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the title of the position “Origination Partner” in the subject line of your e-mail. FAST is grateful to all interested applicants. All applicants will be notified of their application results.
Foundation for Armenian Science and Technology (FAST) is conceived as a comprehensive platform to foster technological and scientific breakthroughs in Armenia. FAST aims to revive the country’s strong Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) traditions, establishing a favorable regime for the innovative environment, fostering science and technology education, and actively developing a venture capital ecosystem. One of the most pivotal tasks of FAST is to engage tech and scientific communities in raising the profile of Armenia as a hub for technological and scientific discoveries and developments.
December 15, 2018
Note: Employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or other characteristics protected by law.