The European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO) offers Research Fellowships to encourage and support young individuals in their career and promote innovative scientific research in the area of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) in Europe.
ECCO Research Fellowships aim to enhance the opportunity for IBD trainees to work in European centres.
Applicants should be aware that these awards are offered to young and enthusiastic basic and/or clinical scientists. Individuals with a well-established career in the field of IBD research are not considered eligible for these ECCO fellowships.
Up to two ECCO Fellowships may be given each year.
In order to be Eligible
1. Not be older than 40 years or still in training at the time of application.
2. Submit an original research project using the “ECCO Fellowships/Grants Technical Annex”, not exceeding 11 pages.
3. Have a hosting laboratory and/or department outside one’s own country of practice, which has accepted to host and guide the Fellow under the supervision of a designated host for the duration of the Fellowship. The hosting institution is responsible, together with the Fellow, for the successful completion of the project.
4. If your hosting institute holds a current ECCO Fellowship, then another application for this period is not possible. Therefore, an institute cannot apply for two ECCO Fellowships in consecutive years.
5. ECCO Fellowship applicants and their host supervisors need to be ECCO Members (at the time of application).
6. ECCO Fellowship applicants are not limited to the ECCO Member Countries and can apply from non-European countries; however the impact of the project for the IBD community has to be clearly stated.
7. Fellowships aim to enhance the opportunity for IBD trainees to work in European centres. Exceptional circumstances such as an applicant from an ECCO Member Country travelling to a non-member country will be considered, but such an application is likely to receive a lower priority than an applicant from a non-member country visiting an ECCO Member Country.
Terms of Submisson
1. A total amount of EUR 60.000 will be awarded per ECCO Fellowship. The Fellowship award has to be used to cover the applicant’s salary. If the award is not entirely used for the applicant’s salary, the remaining funds have to be used for other expenses of the Fellowship project (e.g. lab material). If, after the award of an ECCO Fellowship, a separate application for funding the project is successful, then the host is required to inform SciCom. This is to allow appropriate discussion of a separate funding body providing the salary of the individual and recognition of ECCO support.
2. The duration of the award is one year.
3. Only one proposal may be submitted per applicant by the official submission date.
4. Members of ECCO Committees are excluded from applying.
5. All applicants should submit a proposal for the research project using the “ECCO Fellowships/Grants Technical Annex”, not exceeding 11 pages.The proposal should be written in Word format (Font: Verdana, Size: 11, line spacing 1) and should contain the following headings:
o Project title and PI
o Name, full address, affiliations, ECCO Membership ID number of the applicant
o Name and full address of the hosting institution
o Name and ECCO Membership ID number of the host/supervisor
o Summary of the proposal (300 words)
o Introduction (900 words)
o Objectives (450 words)
o Methodology and working plan (including chronogram) (1350 words)
o Significance and impact (225 words)
o Background of the group (450 words)
o Training capacity of the project and the group (450 words)
As well as the following documents:
o CV of the Fellowship candidate
o Approval of the hosting institution
o IRB (clinical/experimental) approval of the project
6. The annual deadline for submission for an ECCO Fellowship is September 1.
7. Evaluation of applications is made according to seven criteria (see review process, below) by European IBD specialists. Applications will be discussed by the Scientific Committee in autumn and applicants will be informed in November.
8. Payment is processed before December 31, contingent upon the ECCO Fellowship Agreement signed between the Fellow, the hosting institution and ECCO.
9. Successful applicants will receive the Fellowship at the ECCO Congress and are expected to be present.
10. They are also asked to write a 300 word synopsis of the project for ECCO News for submission within 4 months of receiving the award. After 12 months, an update (diary) of one page has to be submitted to ECCO. The final report (a synopsis of 300 words) is due within 24 months and should be submitted to ECCO for publication on the ECCO Website and/or ECCO News.
11. The Fellow will be expected to present the results of their work at the annual Congress of ECCO one year after receipt of the award.
12. Fellows are required to inform SciCom of all abstracts and publications of the project.
13. When presenting or publishing results of the project, ECCO shall be acknowledged on all printed matter as contributing to their funding. Please contact the ECCO Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the ECCO logo for slide presentations.
14. ECCO encourages Fellowship awardees to offer the paper to JCC for publication.
1. All projects will be reviewed and scored by the members of the ECCO Scientific Committee with external review requested and expected, based on the following criteria:
o Originality and innovative nature of the proposal
o International scientific level of the research team
o CV of the applicant
o Importance of the project in the field of IBD
o Formal criteria (no indication of copy/paste application, compliance with word/page limits, justified budget, IRB approval)
2. The ECCO Scientific Committee makes the selection and seeks approval from the ECCO Governing Board.
3. The award of the ECCO Fellowships will be made during the next ECCO Congress.
Deadline September 1, 2017
Purpose Promote innovative scientific research and knowledge exchange in IBD in Europe
Target audience Young scientists not older than 40 years or still training
Place of research Hosting institute outside one’s own country
ECCO Membership Required (both applicant and supervisor at host organisation)
Prize EUR 60,000
Number of awards available 2
Duration of funding 1 year
How to Apply
1. Download THIS ATTACHMENT
2. Fill the document
3. Send it to: email@example.com
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: