10th anniversary of the A Sea of Words
The literary contest “A Sea of Words”, organised by the European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed) and the Anna Lindh Foundation, is celebrating this year 2017 its 10th edition
On the occasion of this anniversary this year’s theme seeks to give the spotlight to those Euro-Mediterranean youths who have been targeted by the contest since 2008. Under the motto “Youths, Stereotypes and Radicalisation” we give them the opportunity to explain their experiences related to how they see themselves and how society imposes a series of stereotypes on them.
Since the Arab Springs, youths have achieved a more significant role and visibility in the media, blogs or social networks. Meanwhile, the economic crisis marginalises youths and contributes to their anonymity. Youths are seen through stereotypes and dualism: either as innovative people and better trained than ever or as people easy to manipulate through the social networks.
Short stories are a highly valuable tool because they enable us to explore our deepest beliefs and experiences. The literary message can provide a personal, historical and anthropological view of the complexity of the human soul, and bring similar experiences from diverse origins closer.
Call and conditions
General conditions of the call:
- People aged 18 to 30 on the date of the deadline for submission of texts.
- The stories must be original and can be written in any of the official languages of the 43 countries of the Euro-Mediterranean area.
- The stories must not exceed 2,500 words.
- The texts can be submitted individually or in groups.
The authors of the 15 best stories selected by an international jury will be invited to participate in the following activities:
- Awards presentation ceremony in the city of Barcelona (17 October 2017)
- Writing workshop to improve the capacities of literary expression led by outstanding experts in the field (18 October 2017)
- Cultural visit to a Spanish city noted for its interculturalism (19 October 2017)
- Coinciding with the 10th year of the contest three winners from past years who have achieved success in the literary world will be invited to participate in these activities.
The stories selected will be published in a book in digital format with the texts in the original language and their corresponding English translation (December 2017).
The organisation will cover all the travel, visa, meals and accommodation expenses derived from the previously detailed activities.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: