The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics gives first-class students the opportunity to benefit from the outstanding expertise of two top-ranking universities. Students of the programme benefit from the interdisciplinary approach and the participation of three faculties, the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne and the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of the Maastricht University.
Students study at each university for one year and will be award two Master’s degrees, a Master of Science in Health Economics from the University of Cologne and a Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management from the Maastricht University. The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics focuses on how to approach current and future healthcare challenges by innovation.
The Double Master’s Programme prepares students for high-level management positions in the public and private health care sector. Students develop an interdisciplinary understanding of management, economics and medicine in the health care sector. On completion of this programme, graduates will be able to apply economic concepts to medical questions and actively address the challenges of today’s complex and rapidly changing healthcare sector with innovative approaches. With a German and Dutch Master’s degree, graduates will have excellent employment opportunities on the European and international job market.
- Partner university: The Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences is one of the six Faculties of Maastricht University. Its learning methods are based on the principle of Problem-Based Learning (PBL). The faculty has a strong international orientation, evidenced by its international student body as well as its research. It has an excellent location in the centre of Maastricht.
- Degrees awarded:
Master of Science in Health Economics by the University of Cologne and
Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management by the Maastricht University
- Programme duration: 4 semesters
- Programme start: Beginning of October in Cologne
- Language: The programme is taught in English at both universities
- Tuition Fees: Students pay a semester contribution at the University of Cologne for the duration of their studies (approx. €250 per semester including a student travel card which is valid on all public transport in North Rhine-Westphalia). During their second year, students pay tuition fees at the Maastricht University (approx. €1,950 for EU applicants).
- An excellent Bachelor’s degree in the field of Health Economics, Economics, Business Administration or Management studies (a minimum of 60 ECTS in these fields) with strong proficiency in Health Economics and Medicine
- Bachelor final grade equivalent to at least 2.7 (German grading system)
- English at level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (TOEFL min. ibt 100; IELTS min. 7.0; Cambridge CAE (B) or CPE (C))
- Very good intercultural and social skills
- Relevant practical experience is desirable
- Completed DMP Application form (please download the form to your PC for completion)
- Proof of sufficient language skills in English of at least C1 (CEFR)
- CV (in English)
- Letter of motivation (in English) explaining in detail the reasons for applying for the Double Master’s Programme
- Copy of Bachelor’s degree certificate, including all exams taken to date listing the grades received and number of ECTS per course
- Descriptions of all relevant courses taken during Bachelor’s degree (e.g. extracts from the course catalogue)
- If applicable, written confirmation of any studies abroad which may have already been completed (if any of the courses completed abroad have been credited towards the Bachelor’s degree of the home university, this written document must contain an official record of the courses taken and grades received. Please also attach a description of the modules taken abroad.)
All documents must be provided in either German or English.
Documents in any other language must have an authorised translation into either German or English attached. We may need to ask for further documentation at a later stage of the application process.
The application for the Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics takes place online.
The application portal will open in April 2016. The application deadline is 15 May 2016.
Applications for the Double Master’s Programme will be assessed by the Admissions Boards of both Maastricht University and the University of Cologne.
The Admissions Board will communicate its decision no later than the end of July. Enrolment generally takes place in late August / early September; the programme starts in Cologne in October.