This scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science doctoral degrees in any area of health.
Scheme at a glance
Level of funding:Stipend, research expenses and tuition fees
Duration of funding:Usually 3 years
What we offer
A Doctoral Studentship is usually for three years, although we consider requests to undertake PhDs on a part-time basis. Support includes:
- a studentship stipend
- approved tuition fees, according to the rate charged by the training organisation
- a contribution of up to £1,500 towards the costs of attending academic meetings and conferences, including registration fees
- we'll provide up to £1,500 for research expenses including the cost of overseas fieldwork if you can justify it. You can ask for:
- travel and subsistence
- overseas allowances
- Flexible Funding Allowance
- inflation allowance
- other costs
What we don’t offer
We don't fund on a proportion of full economic costs in UK universities.
How to apply
You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT) which can be found in the "Further official information" below.
Stages of application
1. Submit your full application
View a sample full application form for Doctoral Studentships [PDF 1.5MB].
The Medical Humanities Early Career Expert Review Group or the Society and Ethics Early Career Expert Review Group will review your application, depending on the area of your proposed research.
We'll tell you our decision by the end of July.
We consider applications once a year.
- Application deadline
22 March 2017
For the online application click "Further official information" below