Doctoral Research Scholarships, Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore
As Asia’s Global Law School, the Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore (NUS Law) is committed to fostering excellence in research by building a strong core of doctoral research students.
The NUS Ph.D. comprises (i) coursework (up to 6 graduate courses, taken in the first year), followed by (ii) a thesis of not more than 80,000 words. Successful applicants will commence their candidature as probationary PhD students and will work under the supervision of a Faculty member at NUS Law. Within 12-18 months of their candidature, probationary PhD students must orally defend an outline of the proposed PhD thesis at the Doctoral Candidate Qualifying Examination (DCQE). Candidates who succeed at the DCQE will have their PhD candidature confirmed and may proceed to write the thesis.
Successful PhD applicants will also be recommended for the award of a Graduate Research Scholarship for the duration of their candidature, subject to satisfactory progress, and with a maximum tenure of four years. Successful applicants are required to sign a letter of undertaking agreeing to observe the terms and conditions for the award of the Scholarship. A copy of the current terms and conditions can be assessed here https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/info/gd/NUS-Research-Scholarship-Terms-Conditions.pdf.
The closing date for all applications is 1 December 2015. Application instructions can be found at http://law.nus.edu.sg/admissions/app_periods_forms.html
1. A good Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB/BA) and a good Master’s degree in Law (LLM/BCL/MJur/MPhil) are the minimum requirements. The Master’s degree in Law should have been awarded minimum Upper Second Class Honours (or equivalent) and, preferably, with First Class Honours (or equivalent).
2. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all foreign applicants except those from English-medium institutions in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA. We strongly prefer internet-based TOEFL (iBT). A minimum score of 100 is required.
3. Outstanding applicants in any area of law are strongly encouraged to apply. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to consult the Faculty Research Interests webpage which may be found at http://law.nus.edu.sg/research_publications/research_area.asp, as well as the Doctoral Programme webpages which can be found at http://law.nus.edu.sg/research_publications/doctoral_prog.html
4. Successful applicants recommended for the award of a Graduate Research Scholarship will receive: (i) a monthly stipend, and (ii) a full tuition fee subsidy. For International Students, the monthly stipend is currently S$2,000. Probationary Ph.D. students who successfully pass the DCQE will receive an additional monthly stipend of up to S$500 per month.
5. The Graduate Research Scholarship and any additional stipends are renewable annually subject to good performance.
6. In addition to their annual leave (21 working days), Graduate Research Scholars are eligible to apply for (i) Research and Conference Leave, (ii) Leave of Absence.
7. Graduate Research Scholars who apply successfully for Research and Conference leave will receive additional financial support, capped at a maximum of S$4,000 throughout their degree candidature.
Please address all correspondences to
Admissions - Graduate Programmes,
Faculty of Law,
National University of Singapore
Eu Tong Sen Building,
469G Bukit Timah Road,
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: