DesignSingapore Scholarship at Local or Overseas Institutions
The DesignSingapore Scholarship is for individuals with creativity, drive and passion for design who aspire to be leaders in their fields of design training, so as to help develop Singapore into Asia’s leading hub for design excellence.
It is open to students and industry professionals who want to pursue a full-time (undergraduate or postgraduate) design studies at reputable local or overseas institutions. As part of DesignSingapore Council’s strategy to build capabilities in Service Innovation and Digital Design, design studies in these areas are preferred. This is to cultivate in-depth expertise in these skillsets which are needed to meet the growing demand for product, service and process innovation by the services industries, and to help Singapore’s design industry to be more globally competitive.
The Application period for 2016 is from 4 March – 11 April 2016. Applications will be through an online portal, which requires your SingPass for access: https://new.designsingapore.org/scholarship
Sign-up for our Scholarship Briefing session here: http://designscholarship.peatix.com
Date: Monday, 21 March 2016
Time: 7.00 – 9.00pm (Registration starts at 6.30pm)
Venue: Level 2 Auditorium, National Design Centre, 111 Middle Road Singapore 188969
The design-related degree must be a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate programme at a reputable local or overseas institution.
Preferred fields of study:
- Design Management
- Digital Design (Data Visualisation, Design Informatics, Interaction Design/User Experience Design)
- Service Design/Experience Design
Other fields of study that are considered:
- Fashion Design
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design
- Urban Design
- Visual Communications
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have completed National Service (for male applicants)
- Have successfully gained admission to a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate design-related course in a reputable Singapore or overseas institution
Applicants who are applying for postgraduate studies and with at least 2 years of professional working experience would have an advantage.
The DesignSingapore Scholarship covers full tuition fees only for the complete course of study. The scholarship does not provide allowance for travel, accommodation and other daily expenses.
The scholarship recipient will be designated a DesignSingapore Associate. He or she may be assigned to contribute to DesignSingapore Council projects and initiatives that are developmental in nature.
There will be no service commitment
The Associate designation will expire one year after graduation
Within three years after graduation, the individual must fulfil a two-year service commitment in Singapore, in his or her field of training
The Associate designation will expire upon completion of the two-year service commitment
How to Apply
Complete and submit your online application at the DesignSingapore Scholarship portal: https://new.designsingapore.org/scholarship. The online portal is open till 11 April 2016.
Please upload the following documents with your online application:
- Softcopy of your portfolio in PDF format (file size less than 5MB)
- Academic results and awards
- Curriculum vitae
- 1,000-word essay of your personal perspective on design and how you hope to contribute to Singapore’s design industry upon graduation
Submit a hardcopy of your application documents and portfolio:
a) By courier/registered mail:
DesignSingapore Scholarship Secretariat
Ministry of Communications and Information
111 Middle Road
National Design Centre
All submissions must be received by 5pm on 15 April 2016.
b) In person:
Design Advisory, Level 1
National Design Centre
111 Middle Road, Singapore 188969
Submissions in person must be made on 15 April 2016 between 9.00am-12.00pm and 2.00pm-5.00pm. All submissions must be received by 5pm on 15 April 2016.
Your hardcopy submission must include the following documents:
- Printed copy of the online application form
- Certified true copies of relevant academic records and/or transcripts (photocopies of the original must be endorsed by your school or a notary public - please refer to FAQ Q12)
- Copy of letter of admission to institution (with proposed course of study)
- Printed copy of information on proposed course of study
- Printed copy of your curriculum vitae and/or record of activities (including participation in exhibitions, competitions, design activities, awards and accomplishments)
- Letters of recommendation from two referees (referees cannot be immediate relatives of the applicant). Referees are requested to enclose the letter, seal it in an envelope, and sign across the envelope seal
- Printed copy of your portfolio and/or samples of your works (development sketches and best works), as well as a softcopy (pdf) saved in a CD
- Printed copy of 1,000-word essay of your personal perspective on design and how you hope to contribute to Singapore’s design industry upon graduation
- Other relevant supporting documents
Please submit a CD with following files (in pdf, jpeg or doc format), with file names as follows:
- [Your Name]: Online Application Form
- [Your Name]: Academic Records and Transcripts
- [Your Name]: Letter of Admission to Institution
- [Your Name]: Information on the proposed course of study
- [Your Name]: Curriculum Vitae and record of activities
- [Your Name]: Portfolio
- [Your Name]: Essay
Hardcopies of the printed documents should be bound in A4-format folder, and your portfolio in A3- or A4-format. All folders must be labelled securely with your:
- NRIC number
- Application reference number (Once the online form has been submitted in Step 1, please refer to the top right hand corner of your exported application form, which should read DSG-2016-XX)
Please retain a copy of your application for personal reference. DesignSingapore Council will retain all supporting documents and portfolios submitted.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: