HDR Scholarship - Surface treatments for drag reduction
A PhD scholarship is available in Deakin's Institute for Frontier Materials. The PhD student will initiate and conduct research on the topic 'Surface treatments for drag reduction' led by Dr Alessandra Sutti. The successful applicant will be based at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus.
This project will focus on addressing fundamental questions on the effect of surface structure and treatment chemistry on hydrodynamic drag with a particular focus on textiles.
The project is part of the broader Research Programme with an Industry partner. It is expected that the PhD candidate will work together with the academic and Industry supervisors to generate new knowledge on surface drag mechanisms on surfaces, and to produce results directly relevant to new treatment development work.
- A stipend of $26,682 per annum tax exempt (2017 rate)
- A relocation allowance from $500 to $1,500 (2017) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- 60 working days paid sick leave
- 60 working days paid parental leave
- Tuition fee and overseas health coverage for international students for the duration of 4 years.
This scholarship is open to domestic and international candidates.
Applicants must meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements, be enrolling full time and hold an Honours degree (First Class) or an equivalent standard Master's degree with a substantial research component. Please refer to the entry pathways to higher degrees by research for further information. Applicants must also have experience in surface chemistry, textile chemistry and processes, surface profilometry, fluid-dynamics modelling.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.