Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarships / Australian Postgraduate Awards
The APAs are funded by the Australian Federal Government while the DUPRSs are funded by Deakin University.
Both awards are available to domestic and international students. Only the top ranked applicants in a scholarship round will be offered an APA. Applicants can apply for candidature only (without scholarship) at any time during the year. However, candidature and scholarship applications must be lodged by the deadlines listed below.
- Domestic - (Australian citizen or permanent resident; New Zealand citizen)
- Applications open 1 May and close 31 October
- Applications open 1 February and close 31 July
Value and benefits
- A stipend of $25,849 per annum tax exempt (2015 rate)
- A relocation allowance up to $1840 (2015 rate) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- Paid sick, maternity and parenting leave
- Only an APA may be transferred to another university
Successful applicants must have achieved a first class Honours degree or equivalent. Awards are only available to those who will be undertaking a Masters or Doctoral degree full-time in 2015 and have applied for, or are currently enrolled in, a higher degree by research. Applicants who have commenced their graduate research degree must have at least 12 months full-time or equivalent candidature remaining. Applicants who have previously held an APA or DUPR for six months or more cannot be considered for another APA or DUPR.
The primary criterion is a high standard of Honours (a year of assessed research following an undergraduate course) or its equivalent. Equivalence could include:
- research Masters' degree with at least 2/3 of the degree comprising a thesis graded at 80%+
- coursework Masters' degrees or graduate diplomas which includes a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words to 80%+ standard and research methodology units
- comparable qualifications from international universities including a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words and GPA 80%+ standard
- relevant postgraduate research experience
- independently refereed journal articles, publications, or conference papers
- professional reporting or prior learning
- research related awards or prizes
- other evidence of research ability.
Please refer to the entry pathways to higher degrees by research for further information.
Selection for scholarships is based on academic merit, research experience, publications relative to opportunity, alignment of the project with strategic priorities and the supervisory experience/support of the potential supervisors. Please refer to the HDR Scholarship Ranking Guidelines which are used by Schools and Faculties during the scholarship rounds to rank scholarship applications.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for domestic students
Terms and conditions for international students
How to apply
- Please refer to the Apply for a research degree webpage for application information.
Current Deakin Research Students
- Login to RMENET using your Deakin student username and password. The scholarship application form is located at HDR/HDR eForms/Create an HDR eForm.
- Instructions (PDF, 83.9 KB) are provided to assist you in creating the current student scholarship application form.
- If you have applied for a HDR scholarship previously, you need to demonstrate that you have achieved significant research outcomes beyond the basic expectations of your candidature progression since your last application.
Please contact the Deakin Research Scholarships office.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: