Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education – Economics Institute International Ph.D. Scholarships
A Master's degree or equivalent that can be nostrified (recognized) in the Czech Republic (or expectation to complete a Master's degree by June of the year for which you are applying) is the best credential for admission. Strong students with a Bachelor's Degree may also apply directly to the Ph.D. program. However, their financial support is determined on an individual basis. Masters degree holders are usually given full financial support. Alternatively, students whose highest credential is a Bachelor's degree may apply for our Visiting Master's in Economics - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/visiting-masters-students/visiting-masters-welcome scheme."
Eligibility for Study
- Any individual from any country is welcome to submit an application.
- There is no application fee.
- CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
- Strong background in mathematics is an advantage.
- Sufficient proficiency in English to read, write, and fully understand study material is necessary.
- Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required. Many successful students have backgrounds in math, law, political science or other disciplines.
Please read the instructions carefully before applying!
The deadline for all the documents to be either uploaded through the Online Application Form or delivered in hard copy to CERGE-EI is April 30. However, we strongly recommend the submission of application materials as early as possible to smooth the application process.
The following materials are required for an application to be processed. All materials must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation and must be received by CERGE-EI on or before the deadline date.
- Application form: please fill in the Online Application Form - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/phd-online-application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of motivation: please submit a 1000-2000 word statement in English describing your academic and research background, your interests and career goals, and how the program at CERGE-EI will help you meet your objectives. Please see the Statement of Motivation Guidelines - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/pdf/study/Statements%20of%20Motivation%202015.pdf
- Verified copies of your Bachelor's and Master's diplomas and transcripts (diploma supplement) with certified translations into English if needed. Please see our Guidelines for Verification of Diplomas and Transcripts - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/files/Verification_of_Documents_Guidelines.pdf for details. You will have to present these documents in paper form in case you are invited to the Preparatory semester or directly admitted (upon your arrival to CERGE-EI). Applicants who will be completing their Master studies or will receive their Master diploma only after our application deadline must submit confirmation of studies from their current university
- Two letters of recommendation submitted online from persons familiar with your academic background indicated in the online application form
- All other relevant documents that may support your application for the program (such as additional study records, certificates, etc.)
- Students are encouraged to submit a TOEFL (Institutional Code 2403), IELTS or other certified English language exam score, as well as GRE (or other proficiency tests) scores.
Mailing Address for delivery of the application package in hard copy:
Ph.D. in Economics
P.O. Box 882, Politických vězňů 7
111 21 Prague 1, Czech Republic
The Admission Committee evaluates all materials received in hard copy at CERGE-EI by the application deadline.
The evaluation of the materials received in hard copy takes into account whether the professional interest and applicants' background and qualifications are in accordance with the research focus of the CERGE-EI.
Based on an applicants' background and qualifications, direct admission (without any further exams) to the CERGE-EI Ph.D. program may be offered. Directly admitted applicants are notified of their admission shortly after the Admissions Committee takes place (in May).
Approximately 50 other candidates are invited to attend the summer Preparatory semester, which begins in July.
The Preparatory Semester is designed to support applicants with varying levels of knowledge of modern Economics and Mathematics. It provides potential students with a common knowledge base on which to build their graduate work and allows them to gain a sense of how Economics is taught at CERGE-EI.
Prep semester performance in Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, and Mathematics courses and on an English academic writing exam determines which students from the Preparatory semester are admitted to the CERGE-EI Ph.D. Program.
Between 30 and 35 students are offered admission each year.
The academic year begins in mid-September. (See Academic Calendar - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/students/academic-calendar) Please see Program Details - https://www.cerge-ei.cz/phd-admissions/program-details for more information about the program itself.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: