The Carnegie School of Sport is offering a number of three-year full-time PhD studentships in Sport, Physical Activity and Leisure to start in October 2017. The awards cover the standard UK stipend (£14,553 in 2017/18; pro-rata into 12 monthly payments and exempt from UK Income Tax and National Insurance) and tuition fees (EU/UK fees only).
The PhD Studentships include a range of exciting research projects spanning our five Research Centres in the Institute for Sport, Physical Activity and Leisure. The interdisciplinary and applied nature of much of our research means that students work on challenging problems and have significant opportunity to develop new and valuable skills.
We are seeking highly-motivated and enthusiastic students who will fully engage in the dynamic and vibrant research environment in the Carnegie School of Sport. The quality of the Carnegie School of Sport research is evident in the outstanding results achieved in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, where we ranked 2nd nationally when accounting for both research quality and the number of contributing staff (Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism).
- Applications should be submitted in writing to one of the research projects listed.
- Applicants should complete the research student application form and provide a research proposal using the criteria below as a guide.
- The research proposal can be up to four A4 pages in length (with references as an addition to the four-page proposal) using type Arial 12 point.
- Applicants should include the research project reference (e.g. Reference: Carnegie SCOPE2) and the project title at the top of the research proposal.
- Applicants should use the research project reference as the subject in the email subject line when submitting their applications.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE LEEDS RHINOS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB AND YORKSHIRE CARNEGIE RUGBY UNION CLUB STUDENTSHIP IS MIDNIGHT ON 1 MAY 2017.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS IS MIDNIGHT ON 22 MAY 2017.
Interviews for the studentships will take place the week commencing 17 July 2017.
For all enquiries regarding the application process please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)113 812 5375
Prospective students from outside of the UK and EU who wish to apply to study at Leeds Beckett University will be required to make up the difference annually between the UK/EU fees to be paid by the University of £4,121 and overseas’ fees of £11,800. The fee difference must be paid prior to starting. Overseas applicants must refer to the UKBA regulations on studying in the UK and contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)113 812 5385 before submitting.
The criteria listed below will be used in selecting those applicants who will be called for interview and those who will be successful in securing a PhD Studentship.
- Qualifications, expertise and experience relevant to undertaking study for a PhD.
- Knowledge of the subject area that will ensure the development of a focussed line of enquiry.
- Knowledge and understanding of research methods appropriate to undertaking a PhD/MPhil in the chosen area of research.
- Clarity on the original contribution that the completed PhD will make to the body of knowledge in the relevant research literature.
- Scale and scope of the proposed research in terms of delivery within the duration of the studentship.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: