This scheme funds the creation and renewal of exhibition and engagement spaces, usually within museums or science centres in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
Scheme at a glance
Where your audience is:UK, Republic of IrelandLevel of funding:Usually above £250,000
Who can apply
You can apply for a Capital Award if:
- You’re part of an organisation with exhibition or engagement space. This space must engage the public with ideas about health and wellbeing, and must need to be renewed, replaced or redeveloped.
- You want to set up a new organisation or space that engages the public with ideas about health and wellbeing.
Your organisation should be in the UK or the Republic of Ireland. If it's based outside these areas, but has strategic links with the Trust's work, we may still consider your project.
Your project should
- propose an innovative and ambitious vision for engaging people with ideas about health and wellbeing
- attract at least 30,000 visitors a year
- remain accessible to visitors for at least eight years after completion
- draw on academic research related to health and wellbeing.
Your project should involve funding from other sources (ie charitable, private or government).
Your organisation must commit to providing ongoing operational costs over the lifetime of the exhibition or engagement space.
What we offer
- Capital Awards are usually above £250,000. Support can include:
- development and building/refurbishment
- staff/personnel costs for those who are essential to the project
- initial public engagement programming costs
- essential equipment
- other costs that are essential to the project and you can justify them.
You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT) which can be found in the "Further official information" below this article.
Contact the Wellcome Trust
Please contact us at least six weeks before the preliminary deadline to discuss the scope of your proposal. If your proposal meets our criteria, we’ll ask you to submit a preliminary application.
Submit your preliminary application
Your preliminary application should outline your project vision, background, aims and objectives, target audience and partnerships. We’ll assess your preliminary application and, if it’s approved, ask you to submit a full application.
Submit your full application form
View a sample full application form for Capital Awards [PDF 1.4MB].
Applications are peer reviewed by at least five independent reviewers. We’ll invite applicants to respond to reviewers' comments.
The Capital Awards Committee, whose members are a mixture of Trust staff and external advisers, will conduct interviews at the Wellcome Trust offices in London.
We consider applications once a year. We don't accept late applications.
Preliminary application deadline - 13 May 2016
Preliminary application decision - June 2016
Full application deadline - October 2016
Interviews - March 2017
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: