The BIGSSS-HWK Visiting Fellowship is an international researcher mobility program offering a 6-month research stay at two renowned academic institutions in the social sciences: The Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg (HWK), one of Germanys leading institutes for advanced study across disciplines, is a foundation of the federal states of Bremen and Lower Saxony and the city of Delmenhorst. The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences is an inter-university institute of the University of Bremen and Jacobs University Bremen supported by the German Excellence Initiative.
The program supports research by outstanding scholars in the social sciences (e.g. Sociology, Political Science, Psychology and Demography). Fellows benefit from exceptional intellectual and research conditions. They enjoy both the stimulating environment of a multi-disciplinary and international community of first-rate scholars and a graduate school with an outstanding faculty, innovative teaching concepts and an international body of excellent Ph.D. students and Postdocs.
We expect our visiting fellows to have a presence at both institutes, to participate in regular activities of the HWK and to engage in doctoral education/supervision at BIGSSS including teaching a minimum of one course and taking part in the regular Ph.D.-colloquium. The BIGSSS-HWK Visiting Fellowship offers financial support and accommodation.
The BIGSSS-HWK Visiting Fellowship welcomes applications worldwide from promising postdoctoral scholars to leading senior researchers. The integration of most major social-science disciplines into one school is a key asset of BIGSSS, its umbrella theme is “Changing Patterns of Social and Political Integration“. Applicants should have research and expertise in one or more of BIGSSS' three thematic fields:
• Global Governance and Regional Integration
• Welfare State, Inequality and Quality of Life
• Changing Lives in Changing Socio-Cultural Contexts.
(2) The abstract should be a summary of the Fellowship project for specialists in your field of research. The abstract should be submitted as a MS Word-compatible text file (doc, docx, rtf) and not as a PDF! Its length should not exceed 1500 characters including blanks. Should an application be successful the abstract may be used for public relation purposes of BIGSSS and HWK.
(3) The curriculum vitae should be in table form, and may be arranged either chronologically or systematically.
(4) There are no specific requirements with respect to the format of the list of publications.
Please send your applications via email to BIGSSS’ Managing Director, Dr. Christian Peters (cpetersbigsss-bremen.de) and to HWK’s Research Manager for the Social Sciences, Dr. Susanne Fuchs (sfuchsh-w-k.de).
The deadline for applications is October 28, 2015. Late applications will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted until November 30, 2015. The Fellowship is scheduled for the 2016 winter term (September 2016 - February 2017).