The Competition begins September 1, 2016 at 12:01 AM EST (the “Competition Start Date”) and ends [October 10, 2016 at 11:59 PM PDT (the “Competition End Date”), such period referred to herein as the “Competition Period.” The Competition is sponsored by Breakthrough Prize Foundation (the “Competition Sponsor”). Competition Sponsor’s computer is the official clock for the Competition. This is a skill-based competition and chance plays no part in the determination of any Winner.
Subject to the limitations set out herein, individuals between the ages of 13 and 18 may participate ("You”). You must be at least 13 years of age by October 10, 2016 at 11:59 PM PDT participate, and You cannot be older than 18 years of age on October 10, 2016 at 11:59 PM PDT. If You are a minor, You must have your parent's or legal guardian's permission to enter and Your parent or legal guardian must agree, on your behalf and on his or her own behalf, to follow and be bound by these RULES and warrant that You are eligible to participate in the Competition. You cannot reside in nor be governed by countries that are prohibited by law, regulation (including United States laws and regulations or other applicable export laws and regulations), treaty or administrative act from entering into trade relations (including export of technology) with the United States of America or its citizens.
Entries are limited to individuals only; commercial enterprises and business entities are not eligible. Any donor, director, officer, employee, contractor to or of Competition Sponsor, members of the Evaluation Panel and the Selection Committee and any of the foregoing’s family members or those living in the same household are prohibited from entering the Competition. A “family member” of any individual means his or her spouse, ancestors, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and the spouses of his or her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Additionally, any individual who is the owner of more than 20 percent of (i) the total combined voting power of a corporation, (ii) the profits interest of a partnership or (iii) the beneficial interest of a trust or unincorporated enterprise which is a substantial contributor to the Competition Sponsor is prohibited from entering the Competition. A “substantial contributor” means any individual or entity who contributed or bequeathed an aggregate amount of more than $5,000 to the Competition Sponsor, if such amount is more than two percent of the total contributions and bequests received by the Competition Sponsor before the close of the taxable year of the Competition Sponsor in which the contribution or bequest is received by the Competition Sponsor from such individual or entity.
Entries that are submitted in connection with the Competition will only be eligible if such Entries (i) are in English, (ii) do not contain content that is unlawful, hateful or obscene, in the Competition Sponsor’s sole discretion, and (iii) do not include any other identifiable individual other than the individual participant unless prior express consent is obtained from such individual or such images are in the public domain. The Competition Sponsor will allow only those entries that meet all of these criteria, in the sole discretion of the Competition Sponsor.
The Content created or provided by You must be Your own. You represent and warrant that (i) Your Entry is an original work created solely by You and that You own all Intellectual Property in and to the Entry, (ii) Your Entry does not violate any applicable law, rule or regulation, (iii) no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Entry (including Intellectual Property Rights), except as expressly identified by You to us in writing, (iv) You own and are free to grant to the Competition Sponsor all rights in and to Your Entry that is granted herein and (v) use of Your Entry by Competition Sponsor will not infringe or involve the misappropriation of any third party rights. You (or Your parent/guardian if a minor) agree to indemnify and hold harmless Competition Sponsor and its affiliates from and against any breach of this warranty.
By submitting Your Entry, You represent and warrant that You have the right to grant, and do hereby grant, to Competition Sponsor a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable and non-exclusive right and license to (a) use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any such content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate all or any portion of it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party that may exist in such Content; and (b) use the Content, including without limitation, the right and license to make, use, sell, offer for sale, and import any products and/or services which practice or embody, or are configured for use in practicing, all or any portion of the Content and the right to practice. If there are portions of the Entry that are encumbered by third party intellectual property rights, it is Your responsibility to disclose them, and such third party content may cause Your Entry to be disqualified.
One (1) Prize will be awarded to the Winner consisting of: a $250,000 college scholarship (“Scholarship”) and renovations to the Winner’s school (“School”) valued up to $100,000 for the renovation or addition of a science lab. As part of the Prize, the Winner will also elect one teacher (“Teacher”) who has inspired the Winner, and such teacher will be awarded $50,000. The Competition Sponsor will (i) coordinate the renovation details with the Winner’s school, (ii) supply a team to work on remodeling, and (iii) pay up to $100,000 for all approved expenses associated with the renovation. The total approximate retail value of the Prize is $400,000.
There are specific restrictions on the Prize, including, but not limited to:
- Scholarship can only be used for tuition and fees at post-secondary educational institution.
- Post-secondary educational institutions must be accredited institutions or non-U.S. equivalents.
- Scholarship will be paid directly to the post-secondary educational institutions in which winners are enrolled.
- Scholarship must be used within 8 years of graduation from secondary school or will be forfeited in whole or in part.
- Scholarship is personal and are not assignable to any other student in whole or in part.
- Any unused portions of the Prize will be returned to the Competition Sponsor and the Winner shall have no further claim.
- Competition Sponsor will endeavor to treat Scholarship as exempt from taxes, but any portion that is ineligible will be the responsibility of the Winner.
- Right to receive the Prize is contingent on signing any required agreements provided by the Competition Sponsor, and failure to do so may result in disqualification from the Competition resulting in the selection of an alternate Winner at the
- Competition Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- Teacher and/or School may also be required to sign agreements with Competition Sponsor in order receive the Prize.
- Teacher or School have the right to reject Prize.
- The Competition Sponsor has the sole discretion to reserve any portion of the Prize if the Winner, Teacher or School are not properly verified or do not meet the requirements set forth in these RULES.
- School must confirm eligibility to receive Prize, including providing evidence of being a nonprofit or governmental institution or its international equivalent, in each case in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
- If You are home schooled or otherwise not enrolled in a school that is eligible to receive the lab Prize, You may recommend a recipient school, but the decision whether or not to award a lab and to which school shall each be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Competition Sponsor.
- The Prize shall be paid in a manner and on the timeline to be determined in the discretion of the Competition Sponsor.
- No substitution, exchange, or cash equivalent will be allowed, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Winner may not request a division of the Prize.
- The Winner is solely responsible for all costs and expenses associated with the Prize not stated in these RULES.
For more information click "Further official information" below.