Calouste Gulbenkian Global Excellence Scholarship for Armenian Students 2016
The Armenian Communities Department of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation is awarding four full scholarships (up to 50,000 USD) to top Armenian students worldwide enrolled in a PhD research programme within an internationally recognized university of excellence.
Innovative topics related to contemporary issues and debates, in the area of the humanities and the social sciences, are privileged. Armenian studies is excluded as there is a specific scholarship programme for it.
The objectives of the programme are to foster high quality research and to build new collaborative linkages between Armenian researchers and global networks of innovation
Requirements for eligibility Candidates wishing to apply for a Calouste Gulbenkian Global Excellence Scholarship for Armenian Students must meet the following requirements:
- Be of Armenian origin
- Be no more than 35 years old at the time of the application
- Be currently admitted or already pursuing a PhD degree in an internationally recognized research institution of higher education, as a full-time student for the academic year for which the scholarship is being applied for (the award cannot be deferred)
- Have a supervisor or an assigned committee
- The Calouste Gulbenkian Global Excellence Scholarship for Armenian Students cannot be combined with another major grant received by the awardee. If you do not meet these requirements then you are unlikely to be successful in your application.
The candidates will be selected upon the recommendation of an independent evaluation committee composed of academics.
Eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- Academic curriculum
- Research proposal, including a timeframe
- Originality of the proposed research in the applicant’s chosen field of study
- Publications in academic journals, if any, and prior recognition of academic excellence through earlier prizes and scholarships
- Letters of recommendation and achievement evaluations
- The subject matter of the research
The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and the selection committee reserve the right to interview short listed candidates in person or by telephone/Skype.
Conditions for maintaining the Calouste Gulbenkian Global Excellence Scholarship for Armenian Students This scholarship is awarded for the period of one academic year and may be renewed three times (i.e. for a total of four years).
Renewal of the scholarship from year to year is based on good progress as assessed by the candidate’s supervisor and/or committee, and validated by the Foundation’s selection committee and/or Armenian Communities Department. Failing this requirement will lead to the cancellation of the scholarship.
The scholarship may be terminated for any breach of the terms of the agreement to be signed by both parties. In this case, the candidate shall reimburse the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation the amount received.
- A copy of the candidate’s passport (main page with personal data)
- Birth or baptism certificate, or an equivalent document attesting to the Armenian heritage, translated into English, if the original is not in English or French
- Attested copies of university certificates and grade-sheets (last academic year), with grades’ clarification letter, translated into English, if originals are not in English or French
- 2 letters of recommendation from (i) a professor in the applicant’s field and (ii) the supervisor
- A complete research proposal with abstract (max. 5 pages), describing the research problem, the framework of the research, a description of the way in which the problem will be approached and the proposed research methodology, the scientific scope, a prospective time-line, as well as the theoretical and empiric sources used
- A motivation letter (max. 1 page)
- A full curriculum vitae including list of academic publications (if any)
- Statement from the supervisor confirming the intention to supervise the candidate
- A one-page statement as to how the candidate plans to contribute to the Armenian community during his/her studies or upon graduation.
Application Applications must be filled out online at: http://www.gulbenkian.pt/Institucional/en/Activities/ArmenianCommunities?a=2286
The application process for the 2016-2017 academic year will open on the 1 st of January 2016 and the deadline for applications is the 29 th of February 2016 (midnight, London time). The final decisions will be published during May 2016.
Questions and further information: email@example.com
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: