Job - Expert in Conducting Baseline Survey, Armenian Caritas BNGO
This ToR defines the modalities and deliverables of the survey that is to be carried out for the purposes of the project titled “Promoting of overall inclusion for children with disabilities in Armenia “, funded by Caritas Germany.
The overall objective of the project is as follows: “To support schools to establish necessary conditions for the inclusion of children with disabilities” as specified in the article 24 of UNCRPD”.
Within the framework of the project a Baseline survey will be conducted to identify gaps, issues and main challenges for the children/youth with disabilities in preschool educational as well as in vocational institutions in the region of Shirak with background situation throughout Armenia.
About Armenian Caritas:
The Armenian Caritas Benevolent Organization was established in May 1995. The establishment of Armenian Caritas in the North of Armenia, Shirak Region, Gyumri city was initiated by the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and the Armenian Catholic Church to deliver direct assistance to the most vulnerable groups of the society. Armenian Caritas is a non-governmental organization registered in the RA Ministry of Justice.
The mission of Armenian Caritas is: “Serve different vulnerable groups with love and compassion, respecting the dignity of each individual”.
Armenian Caritas is a strong and significant role player in consolidation of social justice and social protection in the Republic of Armenia.
Armenian Caritas sees itself as the expression and an instrument of charity of the Armenian Catholic Church. Accordingly, Armenian Caritas seeks to organize and implement humanitarian and charitable actions in favor of persons and social groups living under difficult conditions without religious, national or racial discriminations. Moreover, Armenian Caritas views itself as an important force in actively promoting the democratic and developmental changes in Armenia. Armenian Caritas strives to work with families, uphold family values, and empower parents to be involved in healthy parenting values. Armenian Caritas implements 50 projects in 4 regions of Armenia: Lori, Gegharkunik, Ararat, Shirak and Yerevan. Annually it reaches 150,000 people living in poverty.
Objectives of the Assignment
The assignment combines the elaboration of the baseline survey format, conducting the survey and preparing an Analytical Report with information on the gaps, challenges and problems in preschool educational and vocational institutions in Shirak region for attending by youth with disabilities as well as their access to job market. The analytical baseline Survey report will include: number of children and youthwith disabilities attending the mentioned institutions, constraints experienced by the families of these children, psychological and social conditions that set barriers for the children's and youth’ inclusion, constraints for the institutions’ administrations, gaps in the coordination and networking of the key stakeholders, possibilities to overcome the barriers for inclusion, etc. Through the survey the main gaps and barriers should be identified for the children and youth with disabilities who currently are not able to attend the kindergartens and vocational institutions in the region of Shirak.
The expected outcome is to find out the problems which keep the families and the children and youth out of attending the kindergartens, preschool educational and vocational institutions and to find the solutions that can help them make a step towards development of their children. The output is the analytical Baseline Survey report with findings on the gaps and challenges on the educational system (number of kindergartens and vocational institutions (both state-run and public) with and without ability to receive children with disabilities). How many of them are inclusive? What are the constraints of the administration? What are the problems which make them be non-inclusive? What are the gaps in the coordination and networking of the key stakeholders, possibilities to overcome the barriers for inclusion? What is the possibility of a person with disability to find a job in Armenia? What are the main problems to be included into the job market?)
Detailed Tasks and Expected output:
- Conduct a desk review of existing situation in Armenia along with statistics, available national studies, evaluations and reports, and data from relevant ministries and agencies;
- Submit inception report for carrying out the survey;
- Develop and evaluate methods of data collection, such as questionnaires or interviews;
- Submit finalized tools/questionnaires to AC project team;
- Analyze the data paying special attention to the educational needs of the children/youth with disabilities as required by the project;
- Prepare an analytical report with findings on the gaps, challenges and problems for the preschool educational and vocational institutions to receive children/youth with disabilities and draw conclusions from the report;
- Consult with and advise the project team on research findings;
- Analyze the results of the survey and submit the draft comprehensive survey report, including findings and general recommendations to AC;
- Provide report both in English and Armenian.
Experience and Competencies required:
- University degree in sociology or statistics or a related field;
- Solid experience in conducting sociological research;
- Proven track-record of successful sectoral analysis;
- Proven sufficient capacities that ensure a successful completion and high quality of deliverables;
- Proven knowledge and experience in good data analysis;
- Knowledge on Education System and disability issues in the RA will be an asset;
- Fluency both in Armenian and English for key research staff;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent listening, observational and verbal communication skills;
- Sensitivity, empathy and rapport.
Duration of task completion
The assignment is estimated to commence from February 15, 2018 till March 15, 2018
The tenure of the conduction of survey will be tentatively for one month beginning in February 2018. Following are the deliverables and tentative schedule for submission.
- Research methodology designed, tools developed (both in English and Armenian) and desk review conducted Inception report on the assignment (including a work plan for survey conduction).
- Elaboration of survey questionnaires.
- Conducting of surveys at selected locations.
- Preparation of the list of institutions without ability to receive children with disabilities and translation of results.
- Submission of the list in Excel formats with data collected.
- Completion of final report on the assignment with the following minimum contents:
Description of the analytical tools and methods of the data collection
Review of the situation round Armenia
Review of the situation in Shirak region specifically
Report on the field data collection
Review of the collected data
Assessment and discussion on the established baseline values (indicator benchmarks)
Description of the finding on the overall crosscutting phenomena
General socio-economic situation of the beneficiaries in the target area
Overall recommendations for the implementation and lessons learned
The sociologist will work closely with AC’s Project Manager. All deliverables will be submitted to AC and project donors on the date mutually agreed during the inception meeting. The reports will be reviewed by AC team.
Procedure for submission of expression of interest
Interested consultants should submit the below mentioned documents by 17:30 on 12 February, 2018.
An updated CV (Maximum 4 pages)
A proposal which should include a work schedule setting out the milestones for survey tasks with the envisaged methods, as well as the budget including all expenses and proposed payment terms.
Applications may be submitted by individuals or a team.
The submitted application should fully comply with the requirements set forth in the ToR.
Deadlines for carrying out the evaluation
The technical proposal should have the following characteristics (in English):
- Cover indicating:
Name, person, evaluation team, etc.
Title of the project
Work experience in any similar work done over the last three years
2. Technical bid, to include:
Detailed CVs of the member (s) of the team who will carry out the survey
3. Working methodology, to include:
Objectives of the survey.
Preliminary proposal for methodologies, focusing on rights, gender issues, etc.
Preliminary proposal for information sources (documentary, key informants, beneficiaries, other stakeholders, etc.)
4. Work schedule, to include:
Time planning for the review and reporting deadlines (detailed schedule)
5. Proposal for the report, giving details of its main features (draft inception report)
6. Budget, to include:
All expenses incurred in the carrying-out of the survey and proposed payment terms. Financial bid, broken down into as much detail as possible. If applicable, include VAT
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
In order to participate in the tender process, the bidder should submit its proposal e-mail to the office of Caritas Armenia to: email@example.com and CC to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 12 February, 2018, in accordance with the data provided at the end of these TOR.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications that do not include all the required documents will be disqualified.
Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.