Hope College welcomes international undergraduate students who want to study at “One of the Best Liberal Arts Colleges in the United States.”
- APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
To apply to Hope as an international student, please submit the following items:
- Common Application or Hope College Application
- Secondary school transcript (submitted by your guidance counselor)
- Official transcripts from any post-secondary school attended
- Annual Financial Support Form
- Evidence of proficiency in English
- UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
- ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
International students must demonstrate their English proficiency through one of the following:
- TOEFL: Minimum score of 79 with no sub score less than 18.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5 with no sub score less than 6.
- Duolingo: Minimum score of 100.
- GTEC: Minimum score of 1200.
- Pearson PTE Academic: Minimum score of 58 with no band below 53.
- Attendance for two or more years at a secondary school where the curriculum is taught in English. We still may require the TOEFL or IELTS depending on your record.
Students from countries where English is the native/primary language (see list below), or who have been attending an international secondary school for at least two years where the language of instruction is totally in English, are usually exempt from having to show English proficiency. However, verification of proficiency may still be requested if any information indicates there is an English language deficiency. This decision is at the discretion of the Director of Global Recruitment.
- COSTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
As part of the application process for international students, applicants are required to verify that they have full financial support for their studies at Hope College. The student, parent, or sponsor must show, by way of a signed verification form and bank statement, that they have sufficient resources available to pay for the annual expenses, minus any scholarship that is being offered. Although you need only show sufficient financial support for at least the first year, it is assumed by the College, and by the US Customs and Immigration Service, that this support shall continue on an annual basis for the duration of study at Hope College.
2020–21 ESTIMATED ANNUAL EXPENSES FOR ATTENDANCE AT HOPE COLLEGE (TWO SEMESTERS):
Tuition & Fees: $36,650
Room & Board: $10,940
Books & Health Insurance: $3,000
* Travel and personal expenses vary by student, and are not included in the estimated budget. Students should plan for $2,000–$3,000 for these expenses. Summer expenses are not included as students are rarely enrolled in summer classes.
PLEASE NOTE: In general, families must be able to pay $25,000–$30,000 per year to attend Hope College. The actual amount required will depend on any scholarship offered to the student.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
International students applying as a degree-seeking student to Hope College will automatically be considered for a merit-based scholarship of up to $25,000. Primary considerations to determine the amount being awarded include: quality of secondary school classes, grades/marks received in these classes, your personal statement, and a review of your activities and leadership. The scholarship offer will be given at the time of admission. This award is renewable for a total of four years as long as the student remains in good academic standing.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.