Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Eligibility: Home, EU and International Students
Mode of study: Full-time only
Funding: £10,000 (initially 1 year)
Deadline: Closing date for applications: 17:00 on Monday 01 March 2021.
Start date: September 2021.
The Department of Social Sciences, Oxford Brookes University is pleased to invite applications for the Sasakawa Postgraduate Studentship in Japanese studies, made possible through the generosity of The Nippon Foundation and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation.
The Faculty can nominate the candidate for the MPhil/PhD studentship of £10,000. This studentship is initially for one year only, but may be renewable subject to satisfactory progress in subsequent years, up to a maximum of three years, beginning in September of the 2021/22 academic year. . Please note that you will be required to reapply for the studentship each year, and that the GBSF will consider these applications on their merits. The GBSF cannot make a recurrent three year commitment to any one PhD candidate from year one.
Please note that although you may use your studentship to help towards the cost of your fees, you will be responsible for paying your fees each year. International applicants should be aware that they will need to fund their fees at the international rate.
Candidates must have:
● a good undergraduate degree (a good 2:1 or above) or be predicted to obtain one.
● completed a degree with a substantive anthropology content or in Japanese studies, or in a discipline relevant to the proposed research, and have a sufficient level of Japanese language ability to engage in fieldwork in Japan where relevant (normally this should be equivalent to JLPT level 2 or above).
A Masters is desirable, but we will consider candidates without a Masters who can demonstrate the ability to engage in substantial independent research.
Part-time programmes are not eligible.
● The research proposal must focus on Japan.
● It is important that you and your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
● Interviews may partly be conducted in conversational Japanese.
● Candidates must have submitted an application for admission by the Studentship application deadline.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: