Ph.D. Student in Informatics with focus on data mining, machine learning and simulation-based optimization
The Department of Production and Automation Engineering at University of Skövde is characterized by a creative and dynamic environment, which includes a good collaborative environment, modern facilities and excellent industrial collaboration. For more than a decade, the department has demonstrated how a small university can provide excellent applied research and education of high quality, as well as generate the means and technological innovations that characterize a successful research group. We work with an integrated educational value chain with known added values for the student, where our new engineering programs are CDIO-adapted and the students have good opportunities for internships and work with our industry partners. The right candidate will be part of a team whose work is of great importance to industry, society and academia.
As a doctoral student, you will work with the development of data mining and machine learning methods for handling and analyzing complex industrial data and their application in combination with simulation-based optimization for improving manufacturing processes and production systems. You will work within the research group at Department of Production and Automation Engineering in the School of Engineering Science. The work takes place in close collaboration with industry partners, especially Scania CV AB and SKF AB, and includes the development of implementable solutions that suit business needs. Due to this, the student may be required to travel to company locations in Sweden.
The PhD student position is offered within the area of informatics, which at the University of Skövde, is defined as the science that studies how information is represented, processed and communicated in artificial and natural systems, and how such systems are used and developed in order to achieve usable and effective applications and solutions for individuals, organizations or society.
The employment concerns:
The main duties of the doctoral student are conducting research and performing departmental services, and the administrative work that comes with these tasks.
Additional duties may be involved in the position.
We are looking for candidates who have:
- obtained a degree at advanced level, or completed at least 240 higher education credits (ECTS), of which at least 60 credits are at the advanced level, or acquired essentially equivalent knowledge within or outside Sweden
- completed course requirements of at least 60 higher education credits (ECTS), including independent thesis work comprising at least 15 higher education credits at advanced level in production engineering, computer science, information technology, automation technology or other relevant subject area
- passed grade in course English B or equivalent.
We will also evaluate the candidates based on the following assessment criteria:
- Good ability to assimilate knowledge at the research level.
- Documented good ability in teamwork and good ability to work both independently and in groups.
- Good knowledge of data mining, machine learning and optimization algorithms.
- Good knowledge of statistical data analysis and numerical software (MATLAB, SPSS, etc.)
- Good knowledge and experience of programming in e.g. C/C++, Python, R, etc.
- Good knowledge of simulation techniques used in manufacturing and production engineering.
- Documented good ability to plan, organize and achieve set goals.
- Documented good ability to express oneself in speech and writing in Swedish
In this employment, great emphasis will be placed on good knowledge of data mining, machine learning and optimization algorithms, good knowledge of statistical data analysis and numerical software (MATLAB, SPSS, etc.), and good knowledge and experience of programming in e.g. C/C++, Python, R, etc.
The University of Skövde works to actively prevent discrimination through efforts to maintain and improve an inclusive work environment.
The employment is a fixed-term employment up to and including the completion of a doctoral degree, however, for a maximum of 5 years. The scope of employment is 100%, of which 80% doctoral studies and 20% departmental service. Salary is paid in accordance with a local agreement on a salary ladder for postgraduate students. Only those who are admitted or have already been admitted to a doctoral program may be employed as doctoral students.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: