COVID-19 Public Engagement Grant
The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is inviting proposals for public engagement with environmental science which understand, address or mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak. NERC intends to fund projects costing up to £10,000 each with a total budget of £50,000. Successful projects must be completed by 31 March 2021. The closing date for proposals is 16:00 Hours (BST) Wednesday 13 May, 2020 via email.
Social distancing and the closure of many public instiutions present major challenges to engagement, to research and to society. Public engagement with environmental science can respond to these in a positive way.
This funding aims to help researchers to find different and better methods of engagement that they would not otherwise be able to implement. It could also help researchers to find alternative ways to gather data that would otherwise be collected on fieldwork which can no longer go ahead. There is also room to consider how a diversity of audience groups will be affected and able to access digital engagement. There is a wealth of expertise around digital engagement methods, including citizen science, which could be considered when planning effective, excellent engagement.
• Proposals will be accepted from applicants (project lead) who are normally eligible for NERC grants, based within eligible research organisations
• Proposals must be within NERC’s remit, but may include partnerships with other researchers across academic disciplines beyond NERC remit
• Successful projects must finish, as a condition of funding by 31 March 2021
• Any activities must be free at the point of access for public audiences
• Applicants to this call may submit only one proposal as the project lead. Applicants, however, can be co-investigators on multiple projects if appropriate.
• All outputs must be accessable for the intended audience/user
• All public engagement with research must align with NERC’s definition
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.