ARISC Graduate/Postdoctoral Fellowships
The American Research Institute of the South Caucasus (ARISC) announces the availability of graduate/postdoctoral fellowships in support of research in the South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan, and/or Georgia). Awards will be made for a maximum of $1500 each. Projects in all fields in the social sciences, humanities, and related sciences are eligible. Proposals will be judged on their quality and on the potential of the research to strengthen scholarship on the South Caucasus. The purpose of the fellowship is to help cover travel and/or living expenses in the South Caucasus. During their stay in the South Caucasus, the fellow is expected to give an ARISC-sponsored presentation on a subject related to their research. The fellow will acknowledge ARISC in any publication that emerges from the research carried out during the fellowship.
Additional Terms and Conditions
- The ARISC Graduate/Postdoctoral Fellowship is limited to ARISC members: student, individual, or institutional members. If your current institution is not a member, you can sign up for an annual student membership for $10, or individual membership for $40.
- Fellows must complete their fellowships by August 31, 2020. Any unused portion of the stipend must be returned to ARISC by this date.
- A report is required to be submitted to ARISC within 30 days of fellowship completion and no later than September 30, 2020.
- All applicants must be either graduate students enrolled in accredited degree-granting programs in the U.S. or Canada, or postdoctoral scholars or junior scholars, who have received their PhD since 2015. Students graduating in spring 2020 are eligible to apply.
- Fellowships will be awarded to U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, Canadian citizens, or Canadian permanent residents only. Proof of citizenship or permanent resident status (i.e. photocopy of passport, etc.) must be shown upon award notification.
- A portion of the fellowship stipend will be withheld until the recipient submits their Final Report on their fellowship.
- Fellows are expected to make contact with the ARISC country representative in each country or countries where they will be traveling as soon as possible upon arrival.
- Given changing travel restrictions and/or travel warnings to many countries, fellows should contact ARISC prior to purchasing airfare.
- Proof of Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval must be provided, if relevant, upon receipt of fellowship.
- While ARISC encourages scholars to apply to other federal and private sources in addition to the ARISC graduate/postdoctoral fellowships, ARISC fellows who receive additional awards must contact ARISC immediately to discuss possible date and stipend adjustments.
- ARISC is unable to provide health or other insurance to its fellows. Fellows are required to supply ARISC with proof of health insurance as well as emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance before leaving the United States or Canada.
- Fellowship recipients are eligible to reapply for a second Graduate/Postdoctoral Fellowship three years after completion of their most recent award.
- ARISC does not advise fellows on tax questions concerning their stipend.
ARISC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or status as a covered veteran.
Fellows will be selected by the ARISC grants panel made up of scholars with experience conducting regional and trans-regional research. Please note that readers may not be specialists in your field. Applicants will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Merits of the proposal for significance, relevance, and potential contribution to regional and/or trans-regional scholarly research;
- Applicant qualifications;
- Research design and methodology;
- Significance to the applicant’s field;
- Significance to needs and interests of host country and ARISC;
- Feasibility in terms of resources and amount of time allocated to the project;
- Need for residence in host country to accomplish the project;
- Proficiency in language required to complete research project, if applicable.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: