Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders PHD Training Program
Are you curious about how the nervous system works?
Do you feel passionate about research?
Are you an innovative and critical thinker who enjoys a challenge?
NERF is recruiting talented, ambitious and highly motivated candidates for PhD positions.
We offer students an opportunity to carry out cutting-edge systems neuroscience research in an international and collaborative environment. Affiliated with imec, VIB and KU Leuven, NERF provides multi-disciplinary training and access to advanced neurotechnologies.
Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders is a young, vibrant research institute dedicated to unraveling brain function. NERF has a strong multidisciplinary team of six laboratories focused on neurotechnology, neural circuits and behavior.
Our researchers tackle questions about sensory processing (vision, olfaction and somatosensory), motor control, learning and memory, and neurovascular coupling. NERF is at the forefront of technologies for in vivo brain activity measurements such as high-density CMOS-based silicon recording devices (Neuropixels probes), 2-photon calcium imaging and functional ultrasound imaging.
Our PhD training program
We offer a 4-year PhD training program with access to state-of-the-art research facilities. With their advisor, PhD students work together with internationally recognized scientists to develop their research projects in an exciting research environment. In addition to guidance from their advisor, students are also advised by their thesis committee members to support their academic and professional development.
We are committed to career development. As a PhD student, you will get intensive and dedicated supervision and access to an extensive training course program available through our different affiliated institutes. After successful completion of the program, you will be awarded a PhD degree from KU Leuven. Our students enroll the programs of the doctoral schools of biomedical sciences, humanities or social sciences, or science, engineering & technology.
Applicants with a profile with one or more descriptions below are encouraged to apply:
- Extensive biology, physics, engineering or neuroscience training.
- Creative, enthusiastic, critically thinking, enjoy teamwork and excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Quantitative and technical skills, fluency in programming e.g. Matlab / Python.
- Students seeking to do experimental work should be comfortable working with rodents and performing precise surgical procedures (training will be provided).
- Molecular biology, cellular physiology, systems, cognitive or behavioral neuroscience experience are a plus but not a requirement. Computational scientists from all fields are welcomed to apply.
Requirements (to be considered for a PhD position, you must meet our requirements for enrollment):
- You have a Master’s degree from a University in any European country. Your educational level will be assessed to determine whether it complies with entry requirements.
If you hold a Master’s degree from a non-European country or if you have a Bachelor’s degree from the US or Canada, you will first be admitted as a pre-doctoral student (6-12 months) before you are formally admitted as a PhD student.
- You must be proficient in English.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: