Moses and Mary Finley Research Fellowship
Stipendiary Moses and Mary Finley Research Fellowship
Darwin College invites applications for election to a stipendiary Moses and Mary Finley Research Fellowship in Ancient History starting from 1 October 2020.
The Fellowship is restricted to research into the ancient history of the Mediterranean world and/or the near East, prior to the end of the 6th century AD.
Darwin College is able to elect this stipendiary Research Fellow thanks to a bequest in the Will of Sir Moses and Lady Finley. In addition, Sir Moses bequeathed his personal library to the College. This may assist the research of the successful candidate. Preference will be given to those whose interests coincide with those of the late Sir Moses Finley.
The Fellowship is open to candidates from any university, irrespective of age.
The Fellowship is intended for an outstanding researcher who is completing, or who has recently completed, their PhD Degree, or an equivalently recognised degree. No candidate should normally have completed in total more than three years of research since the PhD is conferred. Any career breaks or part-time working will be taken into account.
Duties and conditions
The Research Fellow is expected to pursue full-time research based in Cambridge.
The Research Fellow will be a member of the Governing Body of Darwin College and will be subject to the Statutes and Ordinances of the College. The Statutes include the obligation to reside in or near Cambridge, for at least two-thirds of each University term, but the Governing Body will normally excuse absences made necessary by the nature of the research undertaken.
The Research Fellowship is tenable for three years, with effect from 1 October 2020 and is renewable for one further year to a maximum of four years at the discretion of the Fellowships Committee.
Stipend and Emoluments
• The starting stipend for the Finley Research Fellow with a PhD will be set at not less than Point 28 on the Darwin College Single Salary spine (2019-20 rate: £22,464.32), subject to an annual cost-of-living uplift and to annual increments (the third year stipend at the 2019-20 rate would be £24,144.56). The stipend will be subject to a 10% reduction until the appointee’s PhD is conferred.
• Membership of the Universities’ Superannuation Scheme is optional.
• Research Fellows are entitled under the College’s Ordinances to dine (including formal hall) and lunch free of charge at the normal College table whenever meals are served (up to a limit of seven meals in each week). Guests, not normally exceeding two in number on any one occasion, may be entertained at lunch or dinner, ten of them free of charge within any quarter (note termly guest nights with a special menu are subject to charge).
• An allowance of up to £1,000 a year will be available for receipted travel and research expenses. A further £500 a year is available on application as a subsidy for appropriate conferences mounted in the College.
• It may be possible to provide limited rented accommodation for up to two years, subject to availability, for which a charge will be made.
• A non-pensionable additional allowance of £3,000 per annum (subject to annual review) will be paid to any Finley Research Fellow not resident in College.
Applications should be made by 10 November 2019 and include:
(a) curriculum vitae;
(b) a summary of research for a non-specialist audience
(c) an account, in not more than 500 words, of the proposed research and the background
(d) an assurance that, where necessary, appropriate research arrangements have been made;
(e) the names and emails of two referees who will also need to submit a reference online by 10 November 2019, and
(f) a list of published or unpublished work that would be available for submission if requested.
In early December selected candidates will be invited to submit copies of written work and may be called for interview at Darwin College or by skype on Tuesday 28 January 2020. Election will be made as soon as possible thereafter.
Any appointment will be subject to UK Visa and Immigration regulations.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.