One World Media Awards
Established in 1988, the One World Media Awards recognise the best media coverage of the developing world, reflecting the social, political and cultural life of people around the globe. The Awards highlight the unique role of journalists and filmmakers in bridging the divide between cultures worldwide and raising awareness of underreported issues and stories.
Entry deadline: Thursday 14 February
Standard: £165 + VAT per entry
Freelancer: £40 + VAT per entry
Student: £25 + VAT per entry
Special Award category: Free
ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
The One World Media Awards span 15 categories, celebrating work from all media platforms and across a wide range of genres.
All entries should focus on stories, topics or issues in, about or related to the developing world, including Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia or the Post-Soviet States. Jurors will be looking for media that covers underreported stories or new angles and approaches to more familiar stories.
Entries must have had their first screening, broadcast, theatrical release, launch or publication between 14 February 2018 and 14 February 2019.
With the exception of the Special Award, all categories are open to entrants anywhere in the world, as long as the work meets one of the following criteria:
- the entry has been broadcast, screened or published (in print or in an established online publication/website) in the UK
- the entry has been broadcast or published (in print or in an established online publication/website) internationally for a global English-speaking audience (in an international channel/publication/website with an outlet in the UK or distribution worldwide)
- the entry has been screened at an international film festival
Entries will be evaluated based on the overall merit of the piece, with an emphasis on:
Relevance of the coverage
- The focus must be on stories or topics in, about or related to a developing country
- Include the voices and views of people in/from developing countries
Quality of the coverage
- Well-crafted, structured and engaging
- High production and editorial values
- Distils and presents complex topics to the target audience in an understandable and accessible way
Originality and creativity of the coverage
- Highlights underreported stories or issues, explores new angles on familiar topics or challenges misperceptions and/or stereotypes of developing countries and people in/from those countries
Substance and accuracy of the coverage
- Depth of research and analysis
- Well-researched, accurate and balanced reporting
Impact and reach of the coverage
- Demonstrates the actual impact or potential for the coverage to catalyse change
- May have prompted additional media coverage or policy change
Consideration may be given to the total audience reached.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. All decisions of the One World Media Awards’ organisers and jurors are final.
2. Entry fees are non-refundable once paid.
3. Entrants are responsible for ensuring that their entry meets all eligibility requirements and selecting the most appropriate category for their entry(s). Entry fee(s) will not be refunded in the case of error; however, the organisers reserve the right to move an entry into another category when it would be more appropriate there.
4. Jurors reserve the right not to make an award in any given category if it is deemed that the high standard for entries has not been met.
5. Organisers and jurors will not enter into any correspondence with entrants on the subject of entries.
6. Entries must have had their first screening, broadcast, theatrical release, launch or publication between 14 February 2018 and 14 February 2019. For film and television entries, this includes scheduled screenings within recognised film, television and documentary festivals.
7. Entrants may submit any number of entries into any number of categories, but a separate online entry form and entry fee will be required for each.
8. By submitting the entry, the entrant grants and warrants that the entrant is entitled to grant to One World Media the rights to make copies of a clip of up to three minutes’ running time from the entry and to include these clips in the Awards ceremony and on One World Media’s website, youtube and vimeo channels. The entrant also grants One World Media the right to record and use the sounds and images of any acceptance speech relating to the entry in any television broadcast, any website or any other medium or publication in connection with the Awards and/or One World Media, including for publicity and promotional purposes.
9. Entrants whose work is nominated must be prepared to supply, within one week of notification: high resolution digital files or high resolution pdfs of print articles for use in the Awards ceremony, full credit information, synopsis of the entry and 3-5 high resolution images for publication in the Award winners’ catalogue, use on the One World Media website and in any publicity and promotional materials related to the Awards/One World Media in future years.
10. Entrants agree to allow One World Media to retain data from the entry form, for non-circulation reference.
11. It is the responsibility of the entrant to provide complete, accurate information about the entry. One World Media shall not be liable for errors or omissions in the entry forms or credit information. If the entry form is inaccurate or incomplete, if the entry does not meet the eligibility requirements, or if it is deemed ineligible for any other reason, then the entry will be disqualified. Entry fees cannot be refunded for any entry that is thus disqualified.
12. Entries will not be accepted into the competition until payment has been received and this should be no later than the deadline of 14 February 2019.
13. Details of all nominated entries will be published in the One World Media Award winners’ catalogue and on the One World Media website.
14. Duplicates of One World Media Awards trophies can be purchased by winning entrants for £175 each + VAT and shipping costs. Up to three duplicates of winner’s certificates may be ordered free of charge by winning entrants by contacting One World Media.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: