International Mobility Fund for Artists and Cultural Actors
What is Wijhat?
Arab artists and cultural actors face major challenges when it comes to traveling within the Arab region or abroad for professional purposes, including the scarce funding sources to help cover their travel expenses, the difficulty to obtain visas, and the few opportunities to learn about the organizations that might serve as potential partners in the processes of creative production in this region. Such problems hamper the prospects of artists in the Arab region for career development and the acquisition of wider audiences for their creative output. They also narrow the horizons for the artists’ collaboration and exchange of ideas and expertise with their peers in the region, limit the exposure of their works internationally, and restrict cultural and professional exchange opportunities with peers outside the Arab region.
Wijhat (Destinations) is a program developed by Culture Resource to address these concerns, by merging the Mawa3eed and Tajwaal programs. It is designed to serve artists and cultural actors in the Arab region by offering grants of up to 8,000 US Dollars to support travel both within and outside the Arab region, thereby enabling the grantees to present their works to new audiences and to engage in new and diverse inter- and intra-Arab cultural exchange experiences.
The program offers 25 to 30 grants per year in three rounds.
The support covers:
- Ticket costs
- Visa costs
- Accommodation and partial support for living expenses
- A recommendation letter from Culture Resource to the relevant embassy in order to support the visa application, if necessary.
Wijhat aims to contribute to raising awareness of arts and culture from the Arab region, both regionally and internationally, by supporting the regional or international travels of artists and cultural actors from the region. The program offers artists the opportunity to take part in cultural events and activities and present their work to diverse audiences in wider regional and/or international contexts, to exchange knowledge and expertise with peers, and/or to build their professional capacities.
Culture Resource aspires to make this support available to artists and cultural actors from all parts of the Arab region, while ensuring geographic and gender diversity as much as possible.
What activities are covered by the program?
The program covers all activities that offer potential beneficiaries opportunities to develop their skills and capacities, and to present their works to new audiences and potential partners who could have a positive impact on their future professional development. Such activities include:
- Artistic and cultural festivals
- Artistic residencies
- Forums, conferences and symposia
- Artistic and creative production workshops
- Trainings and capacity building workshops
The Program Schedule
Applications are accepted throughout the year, but there are specific times for evaluating the applications and announcing the grantees. The program is divided into three rounds:
Round 1 – February
- The deadline for submissions is 15 January
- The grantees are announced on 28 February
Round 2 – June
- The deadline for submissions is 15 May
- The grantees are announced on 30 June
Round 3 – October
- The deadline for submissions is 15 September
- The grantees are announced on 31 October
How to apply
- Read the application guidelines before filling out the form.
- Include with the application the required supporting documents (see instructions) that demonstrate that the aim of the trip is consistent with the aims of this program.
- E-mail the completed form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applications that do not include the required supporting documents or that do not meet the eligibility criteria will be eliminated and will not be submitted to the jury.