Call for Applications Writers in Residence
A joint project shared by the Metro Edmonton Federation of Libraries - Edmonton Public Library, Fort Saskatchewan Public Library, St. Albert Public Library and Strathcona County Library․
We are accepting applications from Edmonton and area writers for two positions as Writers in Residence for the period of January 2 to December 31, 2019.
Goals of the Residency:
• To provide space, time and resources for writers to work on their own writing projects
• To provide encouragement and critical support of both established and emerging writers through individual consultations, community/school outreach and group workshops and seminars
• To engage the broad community
• To raise the profile of the Metro Writer in Residence program
The successful candidates will work individually and collaboratively to develop regional programming and projects. Writers are expected to collaborate with each other and across all participating library systems. These full time positions (35 hours/week) may include days, evenings and/or weekends. The Writers in Residence will devote 50% of their time to library programs and projects for all ages, and 50% of their time to personal writing projects.
One of the Writers in Residence will work out of Edmonton Public Library - Highlands Branch, with their primary area of responsibility being the residents of the City of Edmonton. The other Writer in Residence will spend January – April at the Strathcona County Library, May –June at the Fort Saskatchewan Public Library, and September–December at the St. Albert Public Library. Working space will be provided.
This is a 10.5 month non-renewable contract that will pay each Writer in Residence $40,800. Additional funds will be available for programming support. There will be a six-week break in the program from July 1 – August 15, 2019.
• Resident of Edmonton or surrounding area
• Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
• Minimum of one professionally published, critically reviewed title. Eligible publications include novels, short stories, poetry, drama, and non-fiction.
• Instruction and facilitation experience in the area of creative writing.
• Active participant in a local writing community.
• Comfortable working with the public in one-on-one and group settings.
• Interest in, and ability to, provide on-line consultation.
• Currently working on a writing project intended for publication.
• Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license, to allow for travel throughout the metro Edmonton area. Expressions of interest must include:
• Cover letter
• Resume clearly outlining literary publications and background in the literary field, experience working with the public, teaching experience or other forms of public presentation
• List of ideas for library and community programming, including how this programming would be adapted to different communities in and around Edmonton
• Preference for regional or EPL residency, if any
• Description of a personal writing project or projects to be undertaken throughout the residency
• Three letters of reference from members of the writing community
• 10-15 page sample of recent writing, along with any reviews of earlier works
Application deadline: 9:00am Monday Sept 17, 2018. Interviews will take place Oct 1 - 4, 2018. Please submit applications electronically in pdf format to: email@example.com, Attn: Writers In Residence Selection Committee
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.