The Next 100 Symposium
The Next 100 Symposium marks the end of World War I. In the aftermath of the war, the foundations for a multilateral world order were, laid out. Today, those foundations are being challenged by a world overwhelmed with digital and information stimulation.
The brightest minds from the technological and social scientific fields must come together to translate current global tensions into transformative opportunities. The Next 100 Symposium aims to provide a groundbreaking international platform to achieve this goal of linking technological progress with social and political advancement.
A Global Challenge
In the aftermath of World War I, the foundations for a new multilateral world order were laid out. Despite fundamental setbacks in later years, its basic principles provided the foundation for international politics throughout the twentieth century until recently. Today, almost one hundred years on, the parameters of the global order are losing strength under the very conditions that it helped to create: a world of almost limitless flows, interactions and global technological progress.
Technological progress has begun to outperform institutional and political capabilities. As a consequence, societies are becoming increasingly afraid of the technology-driven future while governments are unable to provide the answers that people seek. The international environment has become one of constant tension, feeding into unprecedented fragility and unpredictability of global, regional and domestic affairs. The order that emerged from World War I transformed our understanding of international politics for the better. We must begin asking how we can transform current global tensions into a similar opportunity. How can we lay foundations for a global order that will preserve values of plurality, inclusiveness and openness, while reflecting the far-reaching technological progress that the world has achieved?
Political and normative thinking must partner with the very phenomenon that contributes to growing global insecurities: with the most advanced computing and technological capacities. We must seek ways to transform the innovative energy of technological progress into empowerment for societies.
The Global Arena Research Institute
The mission of the Global Arena Research Institute is to establish a dialogue between the most advanced technologies and artificial reasoning capabilities on the one hand, and the normative and critical capabilities of the social sciences and moral philosophy on the other. GARI's ongoing research aims to realize the enormous potential of socio-technical studies in using big data and AI as a way of empowering citizens, societies, institutions and governance.
Under the GARI umbrella, the Next 100 Symposium will provide a platform for such a dialogue on November 14th and 15th, 2018. The symposium will bring together progressive minds in the technological and computing fields with influential social scientists and thinkers, representatives of the political elite., and youth leaders. This groundbreaking symposium will form the basis for more permanent and transformative dialogue in the future.
- To bring together brightest minds from the technological and scientific sphere along with representatives from the social sciences to discuss rising challenges to the global order.
- To start a dialogue on all levels about how to use the most innovative computing capabilities to address challenges being dealt with in the social scientific sphere.
- To commemorate the end of World War I by considering the future of the plural global order.
- To draft new perspective on global frameworks which will result in a series of reflections and recommendations for future debates.
- To bring together institutions and impactful individuals from across the globe in one platform to share ideas and further collaborative projects.
- To draft sustainability and impact-related strategies.
- To publish online and print versions of the report.
Why Take Part?
- Engage with international leaders, AI innovators, acclaimed researchers, academics and world-renowned thinkers
- Join a global platform for dialogue between cutting-edge technology and the social sciences
- Experience the opportunity to translate political and social tensions into the transformative global advancement
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.