Internship at the United Nations System Staff College
The United Nations System Staff College (UNSSC) with its headquarters in Turin, Italy, is the United Nations institution for system-wide knowledge management, learning and training for the staff of the United Nations system. The College is expected to play a pivotal role in contributing to UN reform, the development of a common culture based on effectiveness, expertise and continuous learning through the development, co-ordination and provision of cross-cutting learning programmes which impact on all agencies and staff.
The Peace and Security is one organizational unit of the UNSSC. The team consists of three professional staff and works with a wide range of UN and academic partners in order to develop initiatives for knowledge sharing and capacity building for UN Staff and partners, primarily in the following thematic areas, amongst others:
- Developing and delivering online courses and webinars on Decentralized Governance and Peacebuilding; Acting Locally: Citizen Participation for Resilient Institutions, Conflict Analysis for Prevention and Peacebuilding; and Working at the Nexus of Human Rights and Conflict Transformation.
- Developing and delivering train the trainers courses on Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environments (SSAFE);
- Designing and delivering customised training curricula in the thematic areas related to Decentralised Governance; Conflict Analysis; Elections; Non-state armed groups.
- Certifying UN surge staff in SSAFE.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Manager, Peace and Security and the direct supervision of the Course Coordinator, the Intern will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintain the “Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environments” (SSAFE) programme database through tasks such as:
- Inserting lists of participants received from the field into the database;
- Following-up with SSAFE focal points in the field to obtain missing data; and
- Maintaining lists on SSAFE courses planned in 2018 and 2019 worldwide.
- Contribute to marketing and communications efforts, through the drafting of information pieces and correspondence.
- Contribute to administrative tasks as required, internal discussions and meetings, note taking and report writing, and support Course Coordinator(s) in coordinating and following up with Finance and Administration on e-learning related issues.
- Provide support to e-learning course design, development and delivery.
- Support facilitation of online courses on UNSSC UNKampus and webex, in collaboration with Subject Matter Expert(s) and development vendor(s); Update online courses as per instruction.
- Contribute to record keeping and provide coordination for online learning participants during the delivery of online courses.
- Provide technical support to e-learning development process as required, through tasks such as:
- Conducting benchmarking and research as required to inform development;
- Editing digital learning assets and resources (i.e. PowerPoints); and
- Contributing to quality control of infographics, multimedia and other e-learning assets and resources.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Candidates currently enrolled in or having completed a higher degree University programme (Masters or other) in learning/instructional design, organization development with specialized knowledge in learning and training/human resources development, or an area related to UNSSC programmatic priorities.
- Previous work experience is not required. Practical experience in the design, development, and delivery of a range of learning products, including e-learning is highly desirable.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English.
- Knowledge of online learning and social media tools; proven ability to use Microsoft Office, internet browsers and online platforms.
- Ability to learn and act in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work effectively as part of a team. High motivation, with a desire to learn and grow professionally. Familiarity with online learning and social media tools.
Eligible candidates interested in doing an internship at the United Nations System Staff College must submit in English:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (resume);
- A motivation letter;
- For applicants who are currently enrolled in a degree programme, an endorsement from their University or Sponsoring Institution is required;
- Applications should be submitted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax: (0039) 011 65359 02.
- Please indicate in the subject “Application for Internship Vacancy Announcement 001”
Interns are responsible for making travel and accommodation arrangements and for obtaining the necessary visa for entering Italy or the country of any other duty station to which they have been assigned. UNSSC will facilitate the process of obtaining entry visas for countries of assignment. The intern is responsible for ensuring that he/she has all the prescribed vaccinations for travel to the assigned duty station. Interns are also responsible to obtain medical insurance coverage in accordance with the requirements for entering Italy or the country of any other duty station to which they have been assigned. The cost of travel, visa, accommodation, vaccines, health insurance and living expenses are the responsibility of interns. Before the beginning of the assignment, the selected intern shall also provide UNSSC with a self-certification of good health.
Selection and Commencement
Candidates for the Internship Programme are selected on a competitive basis. Only those candidates who meet the requirements of the position will be short-listed and interviewed. The candidates will be informed of the result of the selection process as soon as it is finalized.
Completion of the Program
At the end of the internship period, a written evaluation of the intern’s performance will be prepared and a meeting will be organized with the intern to provide feedback. Upon completion of the Internship programme the candidate will be provided with a certificate of attendance.
Interns who are not financially supported by other institutions shall receive a stipend from UNSSC intended to assist in covering basic subsistence costs. The monthly amount of the stipend is fixed at 450€. No other payment of any kind shall be made to an intern by UNSSC in connection with an internship agreement.
Further Career Opportunities
The interns shall not be considered in any respect as being a staff member of UNSSC and shall not accrue benefits. In this regard, assignments under the Internship Programme do not carry expectation of conversion to any other type of contract or appointment in any activity of the UNSSC.
Interns may not apply for or be appointed to any position in the Professional or above categories during the period of their internship and for the six months immediately following the expiration date thereof.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.