Scholarship for Study in MS at the World Maritime University
The Transport Education and Training Authority (TETA), a SETA within the transport sector under the Department of Higher Education and Training, invites employed South African nationals to apply for full scholarships for studies in MSc in Maritime Affairs. Studies will be undertaken at the prestigious World Maritime University (WMU) in Sweden, Malmo. TETA SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES AT THE WORLD MARITIME UNIVERSITY (WMU) Only applicants who are accepted by WMU will be eligible for funding. To apply for a study programme at WMU.
Entrance Requirement: 14-month Standard Programme
WMU admits students who are already established in careers in the maritime field. The Admissions Board will consider only those applicants who meet the following general entrance requirements:
- a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, or an equivalent university qualification or the highest grade certificate of competency for unrestricted service as a master mariner or chief engineer, or equivalent maritime qualifications
- substantial, directly relevant professional experience
- competence in the English language, demonstrated by an internationally recognized standard test (See the full English language requirements on the next page)
- computer competence (at least the ability to use Microsoft Office)
Solid computer skills are essential since students are required to use computers from the beginning of the first semester to write their examination answers, complete assignments, and carry out research and other projects. Applicants who lack computer and keyboard skills cannot be accepted. From the group of applicants who meet these general entrance requirements, the Admissions Board will select only the best-qualified candidates, taking into account all their qualifications and achievements.
Additional Entrance Requirements: Accelerated Programme
In addition to meeting the requirements outlined above, applicants for advanced standing must demonstrate they have already covered the content of the first semester of the standard programme. The additional qualifications required are:
- a postgraduate qualification in an area directly relevant to the specialization the student intends to follow
- senior level, directly relevant professional experience
- proficiency in English without attending the English and Study Skills Programme, and with an appropriate score in the writing skills section of the test. The tests and marks required are specified under “English language requirements”
- excellent IT skills
Applicants to the accelerated programme must supply detailed transcripts from their undergraduate and postgraduate study. In lieu of transcripts detailed syllabi, the marks gained, and a full academic reference must be supplied.
Special Information for South African Applicants
Applicants from South Africa can seek funding for their studies from TETA, the Transport Education, and Training Authority.
TETA are interested in providing full funding for candidates who meet their criteria:
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be academically accepted by WMU
- You must be currently employed, and have been with your employer for at least 12 months
- You must have at least 3 years of experience in the maritime sector in South Africa
- You must have obtained consent from your current employer that you can undertake the programme and will be allowed to return to employment after completion of programme
- Women will be given priority for funding
- Middle managers and above will be given priority for funding
TETA requires the submission of the following documents:
- Complete WMU application for admission (please attach your Matric certificate showing a pass in English)
- A certified copy of your passport or your application for a passport
- A certified copy of your ID
- TETA Motivational Statement
- A letter of support from your current employer, confirming that you may undertake the programme and will be allowed to return to employment after completing programme (sabbatical/unpaid leave could be considered)
- Signed Terms and Conditions for the Scholarship
All documents not submitted with the WMU online application for admission should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. TETA will consider for funding only the applicants who submit all the required documents.
All candidates must apply electronically. Paper applications are not accepted. Applications can be submitted at any time; there are no cut-off dates.
Applicants who meet the minimum entrance requirements are reviewed by the WMU Admissions Board. The Registry will notify all applicants of the Admissions Board’s decisions as soon as possible.
Only the top applicants each year will be approved and offered a place (pending financing) at WMU. Enrolment can be finalized once an applicant has been cleared by the Admissions Board and has secured financing. The University will send each accepted candidate a medical report form that must be returned to the University along with a formal declaration that the candidate accepts the conditions of his/her enrolment.
Certified copies of transcripts and certificates (including the results of an acceptable test of English language) supporting the qualifications listed on the form must be submitted. Applications cannot be finalized unless all forms are complete and all supporting documentation supplied. Applications for admission should not be submitted through UNDP or IMO as they are not involved in the application/admission process.
Application for Admission
Note 1: Please create only ONE account and submit only ONE application.
Apply Online. In the event that you are unable to apply online, please use the pdf form and email the form, and all supporting documentation, to MSc@wmu.se
Application for Financial Support Form
Students who cannot secure funding through their home countries can be considered for one of the many fellowships made available each year by a number of international donors. Applicants must be put forward by their employer who is responsible for completing the Application for Financial Support form. Read this information(https://www.wmu.se/msc-malm%C3%B6/financial-support) before filling out the Financial Support Forms. The Financial Support Form must be emailed to MSc@wmu.se.
Application for the English and Study Skills Programme (ESSP) Only
WMU offers a specialist Maritime English and Study Skills Programme (ESSP). The ESSP is designed to enhance English language competencies and provide the skills necessary to follow a postgraduate programme successfully, whether at WMU or another institution. More than a quarter of the ESSP students are external students who come to Malmö for this unique programme that prepares them for both study and professional life in the maritime field. For more information about the programme, please visit wmu.se/essp. To apply to follow the ESSP as a stand-alone programme of study, please apply online.
Application for the accelerated programme
If an applicant requests advanced standing to enter the accelerated MSc programme, transcripts will be carefully assessed to ensure essential criteria are met. Applicants to the accelerated programme who are not accepted will be automatically considered for the 14-month standard programme. All liaison with donors is through WMU who forwards files of eligible applicants to the donors. Donors request that applicants do not contact them directly. Donors establish the criteria used when considering applicants. Awards are generally restricted to those under age 40 and priority may be given to female applicants.
ALL FORMS MUST BE SAVED BEFORE FILLING THEM OUT