CEI Fellowship for Writers in Residence
The CEI Fellowship for Writers in Residence is an award aimed at encouraging cross-border cooperation and promotion in the field of literature for young writers from Central European countries not yet part of the European Union. The fellowship is endowed with a cash award of EUR 5,000 for a three-month stay in any of the Central European Initiative Member States, selected by the candidate. The fellowship winner will be guest of the 33rd Vilenica International Literary Festival which will take place from 5 to 9 September 2018 at various locations in Slovenia. The fellowship winner will be officially announced at the press conference at the end of August, and fellowship will be awarded to him or her at the festival. The candidate is eligible for the fellowship from 5 September 2018 until 5 September 2019. Within 60 days after completion of the residency, the candidate must submit a written report.
The Central European Initiative (CEI)
The Central European Initiative (CEI) is a regional intergovernmental forum committed to supporting European integration through cooperation between and among its Member States and with the European Union, other interested public institutions or private and non-governmental organizations, as well as international and regional organizations. In order to offer a solid contribution to European integration the CEI combines multilateral diplomacy and project management, both as donor and recipient, while also bridging European macro-regions. The CEI, whose Headquarters is located in Trieste, is composed of 18 Member States: 10 EU members (Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia) and 8 non-EU members (Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Ukraine). In December 2011, the CEI was granted the observer status in the General Assembly of the United Nations.
Conditions of entry
Applicants eligible for the fellowship are writers from all genres under 35 (born after 1983 – from 1 January 1984 onwards) from CEI Member States, which are not part of the European Union (Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia and Ukraine).
Applications must be received in a sealed envelope by regular mail. The committee will consider entries postmarked on or before 30 April 2018.
The application must include the following obligatory enclosures:
- A filled in registration form (find attached).
- A biography of the applicant in English (max. 1800 characters without spaces).
- Copy of a valid ID or passport with the visible date and place of birth, and the citizenship of the applicant.
- A bibliography of the applicant in English (max. 3600 characters without spaces).
- A description in English of the project to be undertaken during the three-month residence
(2000 – 4500 characters without spaces). The project must be a literary work (all genres and themes), not a research project.
- One original signed letter of recommendation in English (max. 1800 characters without spaces, letters without the original signature will not be considered).
Incomplete entries will not be considered.
- The application form will be distributed through all major writers’ organizations in the candidate states, on the web-page of the CEI, the SWA and the Vilenica festival, namely: www.cei.int, www.drustvopisateljev.si and www.vilenica.si
- The international committee including members from Slovenia, Italy and Austria will consider entries postmarked on or before 30 April 2018.
- Entries will be evaluated according to the following criterion: 30% (3 points) for the bibliography, 50% (5 points) for the project description and 20% (2 points) for the letter of recommendation.
- All the candidates will be notified of the decision of the committee by 15 July 2018.
- The fellowship winner will be officially announced at the press conference at the end of August, and fellowship will be awarded to him or her at the festival.
- 60 days after completion of the residency, the candidate must submit a written report in English (7200 – 9000 characters without spaces) by regular or e-mail to the Slovene Writers’ Association.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.