Development Scholarships at Charles University
What is on offer
Under the terms of this scholarship, students will receive a waiver of school fees for their first semester of study, plus a one-off payment of 50 000 CZK (about 2050 EUR) as a contribution towards living costs.
School fees for the second semester of study will NOT be waived. At present it is not guaranteed similar scholarships will be available for students' second year of study.
How to apply for the scholarship
Applications for these scholarships are open to all students from developing countries and/or countries going through a process of political and economic transition, who are applying for study in one of the Bachelor's studies or Master's studies programmes at FSV UK from academic year 2018/19.
Applications must be made on the form that accompanies this announcement, and must include the following documents:
- completed application form
- motivation essay of no more than 1000 words, explaining why they need a scholarship, and what they hope to gain from their studies at Charles University
- two letters of recommendation from teachers, who know the student from their previous studies, including confirmation of the student's financial need (NOTE: The current scholarship holders who are reapplying do not need to submit the two recommendation letters or write the essay. Please include a cover note and one recommendation letter from a Charles University academic who knows you from your studies with your application.)
- Applications should be sent to the Manager of the International Office. All documents submitted must be originals and written in the English language, or accompanied by certified translations. (IMPORTANT: All scholarship applicants MUST also lodge an online application for their selected study program and note the name of the programme on their application for a scholarship. Without this their application for a scholarship will not be considered.)
- Students who will have problems meeting this deadline due to inefficient or unreliable postal services may, as a temporary measure, submit fax copies and/or scanned copies by e-mail. However, originals must also be sent, and final decisions will not be made until originals have been received.
Selection of applicants
All scholarship applications received by the deadline will be assessed by a Scholarship Review Board, which will recommend seven students to receive scholarships to the Dean of the Faculty. The decision of the Board on which students it will recommend for a scholarship will be independent of the deliberations of the Admissions Panel regarding which students to admit. However, only students finally admitted by the Faculty are eligible to become scholarship holders.
In addition to the documents submitted by scholarship applicants, the Scholarship Review Board will take into consideration applicants' results from their earlier studies. Priority will be given to students who have not previously had the opportunity to study abroad.
A final decision regarding the students to be offered scholarships will be made by the Dean. The Dean will not enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants regarding this decision.
Financial terms and conditions
Successful scholarship applicants will receive payment at the start of their first semester, no later than one month after they register for their studies. No money will be paid in advance of the students' arrival in Prague.
Before students receive their scholarships, they will also be required to make an advance payment in respect of their school fees for the second semester. This payment will be held as a surety until February 2019, and will thereafter be used to cover the cost of the student's classes in the second semester. No further charge will be made for school fees in school year 2018/19.
In the event that students are forced to terminate their studies for disciplinary reasons, the surety they have paid for their school fees in the second semester is not returnable. However, in the event that students are unable to continue their studies for medical reasons, an adequate refund can be negotiated. Scholarships are awarded for school year 2018/19, and may not be deferred to later years.
In the event that FSV UK succeeds in obtaining the necessary funding to continue this scholarship scheme in school year 2019/20, existing scholarship holders will be given the opportunity to reapply. However, any extension of the scholarship will be conditional on students achieving satisfactory results in their first year. Scholarships will not be offered for a third year of study (master's degree) or for a fourth year of study (bachelor's degree) under any circumstances.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.